Karl Marx's fetishism of commodities

Vozo

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 12:25 am
What are the strong points of Marx’s notion of the fetishism of commodities?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,584 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Fido

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 06:31 am
@Vozo,
I have read Das Capital, and I have read a lot of Marx in addition, and I do not recall the term, so if you can get to some point where the subject is discussed, that may help me to help you... I would have you be aware that fetish as word once common to religious or sexual fixation does spring from the same source as our words factory, fiction, and fate, and you can see this plainly in the French verb Faire... I believe in the general sense that Marx concluded that as needs became satisfied, wants became needs... In my conclusion, we must have in a physical sense more than we need as consolation for what we always lose with life in a spiritual sense...We want to die with all the toys because we cannot imagine that death strips us of all meaning along with our meat...
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 06:54 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
I have read Das Capital, and I have read a lot of Marx in addition, and I do not recall the term, so if you can get to some point where the subject is discussed, that may help me to help you..

At least, "Fetisch" is used in the German version of 'Das Kaüital' by Marx quite often, as "Warenfetisch", "Geldfetisch" and "Kapitalfetisch".
In his earlier works, he referred to fetishes and fetishism as well.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 06:58 am
@Fido,
It's obviously mentioned in the English translations as well when I regard the quotes in this wikipedia article to be correct.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 07:02 am
@Vozo,
you've got it wrong, marx had a fetish for commodes

here's some of his collection
http://blogs.problemsolved.co.uk/files/u56162/full_1289234660worldtoiletday_1_.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 07:11 am
My advice is that nothing useful ever comes of studying these perverse doctrines.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4ePTWhu3J64/ScLTdhpsNHI/AAAAAAAAPsk/b97C2a9kGPo/s1600/marx-lennon.jpg
djjd62

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 07:14 am
@Setanta,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/ba/Hcybitpaowynaaa.jpg
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 07:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Fido wrote:
I have read Das Capital, and I have read a lot of Marx in addition, and I do not recall the term, so if you can get to some point where the subject is discussed, that may help me to help you..

At least, "Fetisch" is used in the German version of 'Das Kaüital' by Marx quite often, as "Warenfetisch", "Geldfetisch" and "Kapitalfetisch".
In his earlier works, he referred to fetishes and fetishism as well.
Sorry... It has been awhile; and though I got a lot out of Marx, I have sort of moved beyond him...
0 Replies