Ragman

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 07:34 am
@firefly,
Still that's pretty respectable even though it's the Hor-nots.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 07:42 am
@Ragman,

too many (9) turnovers, though...
Ragman

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 07:44 am
@Region Philbis,
He'll improve as his coach is patient and not yanking him too soon. I feel he has 'good' growing pains and is in the right system.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 11:05 am

file this under 'what the eff were they thinking?'...

ESPN airs anti-asian slur during Lin piece

and this was posted to their website --

http://theurbandaily.com/files/2012/02/Chink-in-the-armor.jpg

the aftermath...
Quote:
At ESPN we are aware of three offensive and inappropriate comments made on ESPN outlets during our coverage of Jeremy Lin.

Saturday we apologized for two references. We have since learned of a similar reference Friday on ESPN Radio New York. The
incidents were separate and different. We have engaged in a thorough review of all three and have taken the following action:

The ESPN employee responsible for our Mobile headline has been dismissed.

The ESPNEWS anchor has been suspended for 30 days.

The radio commentator is not an ESPN employee.

We again apologize, especially to Mr. Lin. His accomplishments are a source of great pride to the Asian-American community,
including the Asian-American employees at ESPN. Through self-examination, improved editorial practices and controls, and
response to constructive criticism, we will be better in the future.
(ESPN statement)

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 06:45 am
Quote:
Landsdowne Road, an Irish pub in the Hell's Kitchen section of New York,
announced it was changing its name to LINsdowne Road...
(source)
sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 07:35 am
@Region Philbis,
That's awesome!

I plan to try to watch the game tonight -- finally nationally televised. (There was one on Sunday too but I was busy.)
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 08:09 pm
@sozobe,

cover jinx?

http://gothamist.com/attachments/byakas/22212lincover.jpg

lin is the first noo yawk athlete to ever appear on back-to-back SI covers...
sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 08:32 pm
@Region Philbis,
No, a me jinx.

I watched live for the first time. Sorry, Jeremy.

(I've stopped, so if there's a last-minute run, you know why.)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 08:33 pm
@Region Philbis,
Next up: the swimsuit issue!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2012 08:59 am

another face-palm moment...
Quote:
Ben & Jerry's, the iconic ice cream brand famous for flavors borrowed from all bands of the culinary spectrum,
has apologized for including fortune cookies in its "Taste the Lin-Sanity" frozen yogurt sold at a Harvard Square
location in Boston.
(espn)
djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2012 09:06 am
@Region Philbis,
i'm sorry but some aspects of PC are just ridiculous

i think the person involved, Lin, should have the say about these things, as they are directed at him, if the comments et al, of the past were directed at chinese folks in general, then i get it, but if Lin were to say it's cool, then others should just back off
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2012 09:53 am
@djjd62,

i don't think anyone should back off from something they find offensive...
djjd62

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 07:00 am
@Region Philbis,
and to a certain extent i agree, but what if Lin endorsed the ice cream, do others have the right to have it banned

if Ben & Jerry's had called it chunky chinky, i'd say that was too far, and if Lin says the one named after him is not right, i'd agree with him, i'm just not sure were he stands, and how far outside interests should go when there is a defined person or persons involved

i thought i'd read that Lin wasn't over bothered by the ESPN headline, i recall the duke girls not being upset by the Imus "nappy headed ho" remark, shouldn't the voice of the actual person or persons out weigh the majority
Ragman

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 08:24 am
@djjd62,
Clearly getting Lin (or any individual's) acceptance does not provide enough to permission to publish or broadcast racially insensitive material. The very act of making such a comment public is covered under the jurisdiction of publishing and broadcasting standards. Whether or not Lin approves of the comment is irrelevant.
Ragman

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 09:30 am
@Ragman,
However... all that having been said...regarding the B&J issue..." apologizing for including fortune cookies in its "Taste the Lin-Sanity" flavor... is a bit of over-the-top PC-ism, IMHO.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 11:17 am
@Ragman,

in theory, the customer is always right.
so if enough of their customers complained about it, the apology is justified as a means of not losing money...
ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 11:21 am
@Region Philbis,
Did anyone complain? the piece at ESPN didn't even suggest that

(is having waffle cone bits better than fortune cookie bits - wouldn't want him thought of as a waffler - that's definitely an insult)
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 11:37 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Local Ben & Jerry’s officials have apologized to customers offended by a limited-edition frozen yogurt flavor
paying tribute to New York Knicks hoop sensation Jeremy Lin, after fortune cookie pieces were included in the
initial recipe.

Pints of “Taste the Lin-Sanity,” which contained vanilla frozen yogurt, lychee honey swirls and a fresh-baked
waffle cookie, sold out at the company’s Harvard Square location over the weekend.

“On behalf of Ben & Jerry’s Boston Scoop Shops we offer a heartfelt apology if anyone was offended by our handmade
Linsanity flavor that we offered at our Harvard Square location. We are proud and honored to have Jeremy Lin hail
from one of our fine, local universities and we are huge sports fans,” Ben & Jerry’s officials posted on the company’s
local Twitter and Facebook pages. “We were swept up in the nationwide Linsanity momentum. Our intention was to
create a flavor to honor Jeremy Lin’s accomplishments and his meteoric rise in the NBA, and recognize that he was a
local Harvard graduate. We try [to] demonstrate our commitment as a Boston-based, valued-led business and if we
failed in this instance we offer our sincere apologies.”
(herald)
ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 11:39 am
@Region Philbis,
yes, "if anyone was offended", same as in the ESPN piece

I can't find anything about anyone being offended until after the change in the ingredients.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 11:42 am
@ehBeth,

to me, "apologized to customers offended" means they received complaints...
otherwise why would they apologize?