Where do you Stand on EATING Wild Seafood?

farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 04:28 pm
@Setanta,
thanx. Ive read Ben Rush's account of the led-up and science discoveries re" the journey . Ill see if I cant find that as an audio book.

It was like Moby Dick. I could hardly ever make it through because of all the detours in substance thatMelville had taken (he musta been ADHD)) BUT, it makes for a very interesting listen on an MP3 or a CD.
Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 04:30 pm
@Setanta,
no i was making one as well...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 02:30 am
@farmerman,
You could try eating super giant shrimp.

Quote:
A team from the University of Aberdeen's Oceanlab traveled to New Zealand to catch a snailfish, which hadn't been caught since the 1950s. But when they hauled their nets out of the water, they were met with another strange creature they'd never seen before — an 11" long supergiant amphipod that looked like a giant shrimp at first glance. When team leader Alan Jamieson was asked what it felt like catching it, he said: "It’s a bit like finding a foot long cockroach."

http://www.tecca.com/news/2012/02/02/supergiant-amphipod-new-zealand/
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 04:52 am
@izzythepush,
Those Indonesian "Tiger" Shrimp are farmed and they grow to sizes that are almost like LAngustinos. However, they are grown in Indonesian Rivers which are often polluted by runoff and eutropy from all the Phosphorus and Nitrogen (GAAACH). I sty away from auper giant shrimp. They look like some kinda pituitary freks.
ANother one is the "hammerhead shrimp" These things are built like a car spring and can articulate with their bodies to deal with predators with this spring mechasnism . They come slamming down onto their enemies (or prey) and stun them or, in the case of humans, they can bust a finger.

They say that they are pretty good eating but not for me. I got bit by a Delicious MAine lobster once and Ill never forget that.(He got extra butter to ease the pain)
rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 04:59 am
@farmerman,
Something I like better than shrimp is Crayfish (or as they call them down south, "Crawdads") tails. Crayfish are basically miniature fresh water lobsters, but the tail meat is even more tender and tasty. And of course, there are dozens of "southern" ways to serve them. Unfortunately, I never see them up north, and I suspect they wouldn't be as good if they were frozen and shipped.
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 05:05 am
@rosborne979,
you can catch em in the Tidewater of Virginia and MAryland and Delaware. Thats about as far north as you can get big ones.
HEY, I used to live in NAWLINS so I am as familar with "Steamed Muddbugs" as Mainers are with lobsters.
Crawfish and beer and a coupla sides, like Hush puppies or spoon bread, and a baked yam with butter.

They teach you yankees how to suck the fat from the mudbug head? ( I could never do that I only ate the tails by squeezin em out of the shell. Id throw the head to a nearby cat (Mudbug steams always draw cats)
rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 05:09 am
@farmerman,
We I was a kid we visited our cousins in Texas and we used to catch Crawdads in the local streams. But the first time I ate them was years later at a bar where they were just serving the tails grilled with some dipping sauces. At the time, I remember thinking they were better than lobster tail. And I love lobster tail.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 05:15 am
I think you'd enjoy the Lewis and Clark book, it move right along and the digressions are those which discuss the new species they recorded. Melville didn't suffer from ADHD, he suffered from 19th century literary disease, which convinced far too many authors that they should write about a whole raft of weighty subjects, none of which related to the subject at hand.
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 05:52 am
@Setanta,
Ill get it , Ive gotta go to our library today anyway.
In 2003 the NAtional Geographic did a precis of the Journals of LEwis and Clark with special consideration to the geology and wildlife and the Geographic did a long segment on the folding boats and the "portable soup". Then they had a show down at Explorers Hall that was a forensic trip up the Missouri with the two captains.

Ive always enjoyed reading some of the early scientific expeditions like theirs, or the Wilkes Expedition or the surveying effort of MAson and Dixon. When you read the accounts they can take you back into the hardships.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 06:09 am
@farmerman,
Well nobody knows what the giant super shrimp tastes like....yet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 06:42 am
@farmerman,
On the way west, Meriwether Lewis stopped off in Kentucky to recruit young men for the expedition. They had to be young men "of good family," and they had to be literate, and be able to demonstrate it. All of them were required to keep journals of their experiences on the expedition. It's arguably the best documented expedition in history in the "pre-electronic" ages.
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 06:52 am
@Setanta,
I got it saved. I sent in a "hold" request onto our libraries web-checkout system, about 30 min ago when you reminded me.
Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 06:56 am
@farmerman,
Inter-library loan is a wonderful thing. In a good system, you can get just about any book in print. I think you'll enjoy it.
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 04:03 pm
@Setanta,
Jeezus. Our library has over 350 DIFFERENT books about Lewis and Clark and not the one you reccomnded. There were 3 by Stephen QAmbrose alone. I only read "Undaunted Courage".
Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 05:56 am
@farmerman,
Can't they get it on inter-library loan? Surely that title should be available from any good university library. This was recommended to me while i worked at Southern Illinois University, so i bopped on down to the undergranduate library and found it on the shelf with no help from the staff. Years later, living in Columbus, Ohio, i went over to the Carnegie library, and, now having computers, they located a copy in the inter-library loan system, and i had it in my grubby, little hands two days later.
farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 06:03 am
@Setanta,
I chedked out the total catalog for all the LAncaster County Libraries and found all but the one you mentioned. I entered it several ways, author, title, subject. Ill go to the Chester County system they have a library in PArkesburg.
I dont panic, I will find it, I have a buddy who runs an antique book shop and he deals with ABe Books alot so maybe its an "Out of print" issue. Libray books dont have a long shelf life . They are pretty brutalized and sometimes old classics get facsimile prodiuced
Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 06:46 am
@farmerman,
That's a good point. It was published more than 40 years ago, and i suspect that, unfortunately, it only had a good run with universities and some libraries.
farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 07:13 am
@Setanta,
Bastard, now ya got me on a fuckin mission. I shall report back with my shield or on it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 01:01 pm
@Setanta,
Well, it was reprinted in 2009 as a paperback. A friend who has a used book shop was able to find it for 3.98 (that includes shipping) from ABEs.
SO, now I wait till I get it, probably 2 or so weeks.
Setanta

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 10:13 pm
@farmerman,
Excellent--i think you'll find it's worth four bucks.
0 Replies