Where do you Stand on EATING Wild Seafood?

djjd62

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 04:05 pm
Where do you Stand on EATING Wild Seafood?

what are we, some kind of savage, sit down and eat your seafood
Mame

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 08:57 pm
@djjd62,
Well, I sure as hell won't eat FARMED seafood! blech.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 09:01 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Well, I sure as hell won't eat FARMED seafood! blech.

That will be all tgat will be available before long...and even that will be expensive given water purification costs.
farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 05:18 am
@hawkeye10,
Ill bet that at least half the big shrimp you eat is farmed in some asiatic country.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 07:38 am
@farmerman,
More than half - same thing with "wild" seafood. If you don't see the boat it came from, you have no idea at all where it came from. This comes up on the food boards quite a bit.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 09:07 am
@ehBeth,
The wild salmon I've eaten was sold or served in a seaport town in northern California. There is plenty of fishing news in that local newspaper. I was confident about the sources for the few purveyors even if I didn't see the boat.

On the other hand, if I would see wild salmon in the market here in the southwest, I'd be apt to wonder.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 10:00 am
@ehBeth,
I've heard that as well - why it is important to work with a reputatable fish market (and not the grocery store).

He only gets wild salmon sometimes - it can be difficult to get around here and tends to be more money. You can definately taste the difference though and it even looks different than the farm stuff.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 07:10 pm
@ehBeth,
You can tell by looking at it - it's paler in colour, the flesh is flabbier, and when you eat it, it's disgusting.

The stores can and should tell you if it's wild. Out where I am, all wild salmon is labelled WILD SALMON. If it doesn't say that, you can assume it's farmed.

Edit: In BC (well, Vancouver, at least), there was quite a riot when restaurants tried serving patrons farmed salmon. Within about a year, no restaurant with any reputation or who wanted to stay in business sold it.

Don't serve me spam in lieu of meat, and don't serve me farmed salmon. It looks like wild salmon that has been sitting in water for a couple of months.
Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 07:18 pm
@Mame,
The stuff i saw in supermarkets in Ohio was always labeled wild salmon. It was a selling point, as far as i could tell.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 08:22 pm
Love it.

The culinary snobs who sneer at farm raised seafood are very often the same folks who decry overfishing.

Whether or not wild seafood tastes better than the farm raised variety, our tastebuds shouldn't decide whether or not a species is rendered extinct in the wild. Given extinction in the wild, we will all be eating farm raised seafood, and so the pressure to serve wild seafood, if it actually is leading to extinction, is base self-indulgence.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 11:51 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Ill bet that at least half the big shrimp you eat is farmed in some asiatic country.

With all of the pollution from that farming being pumped out to sea. What is your point?

The most alarming thing to me about the Asian Farms as I have no idea what they feed the shrimp. I have zero faith in the Chinks to keep the shrimp safe for human consumption. Not a whole lot more in the Vietnamese and Thai's either.
msolga

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 12:21 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
What is your point?

Google & check out pollution + exported Asian seafood and you might get the point for yourself.
I hope things have improved in the past 3 years!

98% of Fish Sold in U.S. Is Not Inspected: Facts You Need to Know:
http://voices.yahoo.com/98-fish-sold-us-not-inspected-facts-need-5927346.html
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 12:38 am
@msolga,
Quote:

Google & check out pollution + exported Asian seafood and you might get the point for yourself.

I am well aware, and I am also aware that the Asians have a nasty habit of feeding that which will be food for humans toxins and also miss using antibiotics.
msolga

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 01:11 am
@hawkeye10,
Well I guess that's the "point" then, yes?
You didn't need to ask.

As for using a term like "Chinks" ....
Pathetic.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 01:20 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I am well aware, and I am also aware that the Asians have a nasty habit of feeding that which will be food for humans toxins and also miss using antibiotics.

Actually it is over-use of antibiotics in exported food which is a major problem. Particularly in Chinese food exports.
You should Google that, too.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 01:52 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Actually it is over-use of antibiotics in exported food which is a major problem.

Which is "miss using"....I take it that English is not your native language.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 02:39 am
@hawkeye10,
Maybe she's from Arazona. And it's misusing, just the one s. Maybe you can criticise other's English when you stop sounding like a ******* idiot.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 02:44 am
@hawkeye10,
The Wild was meant to be, how to conserve geez I don't know..

Farming shirts me, it's either for money or they feed anything with stuff that isn't good for us.

Does that make me an organic lover? How expensive is that these days? IDK...

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 03:05 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Which is "miss using"....I take it that English is not your native language.

I take it that you're a nit-picker when you can't think of a decent argument to counter someone else's?
Best to get things right if you're going to nit-pick, though ...

Overuse (or over-use) means using too much, more than necessary ....
Check Google. You'll find lots of examples.

Quote:
“The consequence of antibiotic overuse is that we may have no drug to use in the future,” Xiao said. “A survey shows the abuse of antibiotics doubles the risk of infection and the mortality rate and raises the price of medical care two to three times.”

http://www.infoyu.net/NewsCenter/QualityControl/11-4-26-30.html

You can "miss use" (or misuse) antibiotics without "over-using" them, you know.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 03:17 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Farming may "shirt" you, but odds are you'd starve were it not for farming, without regard to how "responsible" one may allege farmers to be, and without regard to what they are farming.