What makes it justifiable?

acepoly

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 04:17 am
Several days ago, a minister in Australia government exercised his executive power to quash the courts's decision to extradite two people wanted by the Hong Kong police, and no explanation was given for the minister's decision -- and it is not required by law. Hong Kong government has excoriated this action by the Australia government as undermining smooth judicial cooperation set up by the mutual agreement.

The common law tradition does not have compulsory requirement on the administrative body to give reasons for its decisions so long as there is no statutory duty to do so. But in this case where the government ignored the court's decision, how is it justifable for the government not to give an explanation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 822 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 04:28 am
Do you have a link, Acepoly? I haven't heard about this one.
0 Replies

acepoly

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 06:09 am
Sorry, Dlowan. I've been searching around for a webpage of this story but in vain. I read this in a local newspaper in Hong Kong but its website is not accessible unless you are a subscriber.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 06:34 am
Hmmm - can't find it here...
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 06:43 am
The only thing I can think of is security.

On what charges were they being extradited for?
0 Replies

acepoly

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 10:04 pm
If I remember it right, they are accused of fraud in a construction of buildings in Hong Kong. The Hong Kong government claims it a serious crime, and if convicted, these two people will be given a sentence of twenty years.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 11:09 pm
They're probably contributors to the liberal party...................

But like dlowan, I haven't heard about this one either.
0 Replies