No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 04:50 am
Mars has an atmosphere.
0 Replies

Blackdranzer

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 05:30 am
@g labarge,
interesting question since venus do not have its own core induced magnetic field....but it has a layer of ionosphere wch prevents the loss of atmosphere....i guees its much stronger than the faint core induced magnetic field of mars...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 05:54 am
@g labarge,
There are lots of differences between Mars and Venus. Mass of the planets and composition of the atmospheres are probably the two most important ones.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 06:11 am
I suspect that he really wanted to compare Mercury and Venus.
Blackdranzer

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 06:24 am
@Setanta,
na..i dont think so...becoz mars is loosing its atmosphere...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 06:36 am
Yeah, well, i disagree. Mercury has almost no atmosphere--it has what is called an exosphere, which derives from the composition of the planet, and which is lost at about the same rate as it is generated. The question makes sense as a comparison of Venus to Mercury, but not as a comparison of Venus to Mars.
Blackdranzer

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 06:53 am
@Setanta,
Hmm...may be, but...even though mars has a faint magnetosphere...still its loosing its atmosphere...whereas venus has no magnetosphere( its core is frozen)..yet it is able to hold on to its gases...on the other hand mercury has no magnetosphere(?..) and thus its loosing its atmosphere...so venus stands out here as the odd one....so i guess mars vs venus is more appropriate...
Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:09 am
@Blackdranzer,
Once again, i disagree for the reasons i've already given. Your obsession with Mars is not evidence that such a comparison is a useful study.
Blackdranzer

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:22 am
@Setanta,
its not obession....well both questions are valid with respect to venus becoz both are loosing thier atmosphere...but what makes the difference is that mercury has no magnetosphere whereas mars has ...
0 Replies