khisanthax

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:36 am
I guess I was confused because the publisher and the advertiser can't have the same user name and have different permissions as if they are different people.

But in reality, advertisers have campaigns as a publisher with a specific zone? Is that right? What's the relationship between campaign and publisher? A campaign has one publisher but a publisher can have multiple campaigns? Or can a campaign have multiple publishers but a campaign multiple one publisher?

I'm just trying to figure this out for just me, then I'll move to letting other people put ads on my site, or would it be just me setting up different campaigns for the different sites that I'm advertising on? I could see that, me being the advertiser and setting up a campaign on a publishers site and then the publisher would control the zones or I guess I could. Campaigns would then be able to span multiple publishing sites and obviously zones can be linked to other zones and a publishing site would span across several zones, but not vice versa.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:42 am
My post above has the answers to your questions. I do not think I can explain it more easily right now.
0 Replies

khisanthax

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 03:44 pm
I think you hinted in another topic about using the invocation code in the template. how would you do that just wrap the code in the php tags?

I notice that on this site you only have one spot, though on many pages, for the ads. I saw once site that has the adds on the same row as the forum name as an icon banner, what do you think of that?
0 Replies

khisanthax

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 03:49 pm
I'm sorry, not forums I meant categories.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 03:58 pm
khisanthax wrote:
I think you hinted in another topic about using the invocation code in the template. how would you do that just wrap the code in the php tags?

No, you just use Remote Invocation (Iframes is the best). It goes into the template like any html.

Quote:
I notice that on this site you only have one spot, though on many pages, for the ads.

I'm not sure what you mean. Yes, they are in the same space on the page, but there are over 100 zones.
0 Replies

khisanthax

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 05:49 pm
Out of curiosity why Iframes over local?

That's what I meant, the same space but different zones, but really that many? You put the iframe on each template file, are there really that many?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 09:11 pm
Iframes can load after the rest of the page. The other options might mean your content has to wait fr the ads.

Local has some advantages in terms of integration but IFRAMEs have a huge advantage in that their loading is independent of the page loading.

Here I use a seperate local delivery to insert the remote invocation on the pages based on what forum it is.

So there's only one bit of code inserted into the phpbb templates and a local system of determining which code that is based on what forum it is.

BTW, you are pretty much stuck with remote invocation because default phpbb templates do not allow PHP code in them. So you'd have to code it into both the PHP and template files, use remote invocation, or modify the templating engine so that you can use PHP.
0 Replies

khisanthax

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 09:52 pm
Quote:
Here I use a seperate local delivery to insert the remote invocation on the pages based on what forum it is.

So there's only one bit of code inserted into the phpbb templates and a local system of determining which code that is based on what forum it is.

Is that something in phpadsnew or something you setup yourself? I was thinking on doing this as well.

I'm using the iframes, I can't believe I got it to work, but it loads every few seconds as a default even though I didn't specify any refresh time in the admin for this zone. I'm mainly concerned because it makes the adview count go much much faster and is inaccurate.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 10:02 pm
khisanthax wrote:
Is that something in phpadsnew or something you setup yourself? I was thinking on doing this as well.

It's something I did seperate from phpadsnew. It's some pretty ugly code.= but works for my purposes.

Quote:
I'm using the iframes, I can't believe I got it to work, but it loads every few seconds as a default even though I didn't specify any refresh time in the admin for this zone. I'm mainly concerned because it makes the adview count go much much faster and is inaccurate.

Some of the settings are determined by tags in the invocation code. So it sounds like you generated code with a timed refresh and then put it in your pages.

Afterward you undid the settings which generated new code but you neglected to replace the old code on your pages.

Remember that the invocation settings are all tags inside the invocation code, so to change anythign you need to replace the code, changing the settings on the page that generates the code will not change the code that you'd previously placed in your page.
0 Replies

khisanthax

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 10:16 pm
I changed the whole code but am also including the netscape 4 ilayer, should I not include that?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 10:20 pm
It's up to you. I don't and I haven't bothered testing it under Netscape 4 because many elements of phpbb make the layout under Netscape 4 really ugly.

Netscape 4 is an infamously bad browser and I've long stopped mangling my code to get it right for that browser.

I bet it's a layer to replace IFRAMEs (Netscape was late in adopting IFRAMEs) but since the rest of this site is already almost unuseable for that browser I don't bother.
0 Replies

CruiseMates

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 07:44 pm
I have been using PAN for years and it is without a doubt the best deal on the Internet. You can pay as much as $30k to license an adserver from some companies, PAN is free and it does everything the big boys do,, and they latest version is unbelievably good.

A couple of differences in perception Craven:

Quote:
Zone = An area of the publisher's website. For example, this forum has a zone that is different from the travel forum. Each is a different zone.

While you can do it that way, I find it easier to define a zone as an IAB banner spec. For example my 728x90 leaderboard is one zone, while my 160x600 wide sky is a different zone. Then when I do my invocation codes the zone always matches the space set aside for it. If you do not have any banners that fit, PAN has a substitution option.

I serve up about 300k ads /day so I had to a lot of optimizing. I like the iframes, but the javascript lets you add parameters such as not having two ads from the same campaign on the same page. I could not invoke javascript in phpBB - I drew blanks, I tried all kinds of DB settings and could not fix it. The final trick was calling the ads from a separate IP address on my server.

Publishers / advertisers / zones....

Publishers show the banners, banners come from advertisers who run campaigns.

I set my web site up as a publisher in PAN, and put the invocation codes in my web site and enable certain zones. I add advertisers in PAN and create campaigns. I upload the bannersto the campaigns (the most effecient means is local mode webserver, file caching). The banners get assigned to different zones depending on what IAB size they are. You link each banner to zones enabled in your Publisher Web site in the zone admin.

I went around and around with this program until I got it right. One great thing about it is that it allows you modify flash banners to generate a random number. If you run a DoubleClick campaign they do not count cached files (I have been screwed out of $1000s by unscrupulous interactive agencies - not DoubleClick -) so you MUST enable this. Otherwise about 1/3 of your banners never get counted.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:40 pm
Thinking of zones as IAB sizes will work if you only have 1 zone for each size.

On some sites I have several thousand zones for each banner size.

In web marketing, a "zone" is a designated area for ads. Some use it to separate ad sizes, but it is also used to differentiate more than that.

For example, right now there is a banner and a sky on these pages. But the zone in the web dev forum is different from the zone in the health forum and each will serve different ads.
0 Replies