I have a drug addict in my script recommend a drug like pot but stronger and more addictive?

Muarck

Fri 20 Jan, 2012 12:58 am
I am a screenwriter, I'd written a scene with two characters doing pot, but I decided I want to expand on that and make one of the characters a drug addict. (Pot is the least addictive common illegal drug.) So to make a stronger addiction I want to change the drug. I would rather not have it be speed I'm not looking to make the characters hyper just dependent. And not 'shrooms because I'm not looking to make them all glowy and happy. The characters are really just doing the drugs more to keep on an even keel. It was written for pot. But I want to upgrade it what do you recommend? And why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 5,431 • Replies: 12
Topic Closed
No top replies

Butrflynet

Fri 20 Jan, 2012 01:12 am
@Muarck,
You can probably find everything you are looking for here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substance_dependence
0 Replies

Ceili

Fri 20 Jan, 2012 01:26 am
Pot's not addictive. Coke is. I've known addicts who kept it together, alcoholics too. I wouldn't go with meth or crack as eventually you'll see the physical effects, scabs and whatnot.
FOUND SOUL

Fri 20 Jan, 2012 04:34 am
@Ceili,
And nicotine is more addictive than coke... How could you write that in would prob not do you any good, so Ceili's thoughts probably would be a good one...

Then again, "I have addictions" drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, pot gambling I'm an addict.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Fri 20 Jan, 2012 07:34 am
depending on what area this is set in, you could write in ( while keeping the pot) your addict making what is called a coco-puff.

They roll a joint, press it in shape with the paper then sprinkle a line of cocaine on it, lick it up and smoke it.
People.. before they get to be full blown, selling their ass type addicts will use that method to calm down to try to sleep. Granted.. the weed you find now does not always calm people down... BUT.. hey, its easier to go with the idea that it does in order to get the point across.

You could ten write into the conversation your addict saying something like " this is what i do with the last of my dope so i dont freak out.." or what ever..

If you want to move away from pot all together and have them do harder drugs, but due to the story line, or that current scene NEED to have a down time so to speak, you can have the character do a speed ball. Shooting or smoking a combination of cocaine + heroin. If the character is a REAL junkie, then the speed ball will match them much better. If ..in the story the character is progressing down the line of addiction , a coco-puff would fit too, depending on where he is in his descent .

hope that helps.
0 Replies

missconduct

Fri 20 Jan, 2012 12:13 pm
@Muarck,
I vote OxyContin. commonly called "oxycotton." It's a popular favorite drug to abuse by crushing and snorting. Highly addictive.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Fri 20 Jan, 2012 02:08 pm
@Muarck,
If your story is set in Hawaii, the drug of choice, without the slightest doubt, would be "ice" or "meth", i.e. methamphetamine. Its use has reached epidemic proportions here. I hear it's becoming a problem in certain areas of the West Coast as well. Strange, I never heard of it's use on the East Coast when I was living there, not once.
0 Replies

jakins113

Mon 18 Jun, 2012 02:06 am
@Muarck,
i would personally recommend the smoking of opium as it is extremely addictive and fits the criteria for a depressant. This would also be effective to a large group of people as the derivatives from opium are abused by a large amount of people. You could maybe start them off on opiates and progress them to opium. good luck.
0 Replies

visceral

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:45 am
Frankly, I think the scenario that was used in a Woody Allen movie, snorting coke (still quite popular) is a good one, lots of humor you can derive with that drug, or not....been there done that, liked it
[youtube]https://youtu.be/PD-9qc2ZSxw
Krumple

Mon 13 Feb, 2017 01:07 am
@Muarck,
Muarck wrote:

I am a screenwriter, I'd written a scene with two characters doing pot, but I decided I want to expand on that and make one of the characters a drug addict. (Pot is the least addictive common illegal drug.) So to make a stronger addiction I want to change the drug. I would rather not have it be speed I'm not looking to make the characters hyper just dependent. And not 'shrooms because I'm not looking to make them all glowy and happy. The characters are really just doing the drugs more to keep on an even keel. It was written for pot. But I want to upgrade it what do you recommend? And why?

Smoking heroin. There is an interesting dycodomy between smokers and shooters. Shooters call smokers a waste of the drug but smokers call shooters junkies cause they get track marks. Both can mess you up but heroin smokers can hide their addiction much easier. Its a cool dark drug. Not as pretentious as cocaine and not as insane as meth.
nacredambition

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 07:39 pm
@visceral,
Oh dear dear dear.

You need to go to the actual youtube song location and click on the address:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD-9qc2ZSxw

not just the listing of youtube songs

then post it between the
Quote:
in here
in the BBCode Editor thusly:

then change the quote at both ends to youtube before posting to achieve:

visceral

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 11:30 pm
@nacredambition,
I'll leave it to you.........why cant i just post the link address?
0 Replies

visceral

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 11:32 pm
@Krumple,
It's an insidious drug harder to quick than any other drug or opiate.
0 Replies