Temporary Work Laws in Massachusetts

linzerd

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 09:48 am
I need to ask a question regarding the length of time someone may work for a company temporarily but full time before the employer is required to hire the person permanently. I was not hired through a temp agency, I was hired directly through the company. I have been working there for 10 months and 3 months full time. And I am in Massachusetts
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,955 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 10:35 am
@linzerd,
There is no length of time whatsoever. Massachusetts is an at-will state. You can be a temp employee for 20 years. There is zero obligation for the company to hire you full-time, unless you have a signed contract for same.

Zero.
linzerd

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 12:58 pm
@jespah,
Well they suck then.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 01:00 pm
@linzerd,

be happy you have a job.
many do not...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 01:25 pm
@linzerd,
Have you tried to discuss this with your boss? Even a temp has some one that they report to...makes sense to ask if there is a reason they keep you temp rather than hiring you as a permanent employee. Sometimes there are actual good reasons for this.

Also you are an "at will employee" - what is stopping you looking elsewhere if you want something permanent?
0 Replies