Do you think...?

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 03:55 pm
many laws are obviously foolish and uninforceable; the worst of these is the prohibition of suicide, be it social legislation, or religious doctrine.

The law does not (since it cannot) take a way a persons right to die, but it can 'steal' their right to die in a safe, reasonable, and dignified manner.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 05:42 pm
truth
Yes, BoGoWo, if I could make any right absolute it would be the "right to die in a safe, reasonable, and dignified manner."

Portal Star, if I were to die, of all the opportunities I would take advantage of, they would not include going to a "bad part of town." How dull would that be? Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 07:12 pm
There is a whole branch of medicine called pain medicine, or at least there used to be, all about intractible pain. Let's just say suffering can be immense through disease or an act of violence, war, accident. The body deals with it with shock, to some extent, but I think chronic intractible pain has ways around that. It seems civilized to me to have people be able to make choices about this, and I suppose that there would be discussion of conditions - if the pain can be ameliorated so that you can still think, for example, or not.
0 Replies