Should this photo be allowed in a yearbook?

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 01:38 pm
http://chzdailywhat.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/9bd15b7a-6a4d-4e57-bcf5-3c49a995c0cb.jpg

This is the photo that the girl submitted. It was rejected by the yearbook staff.

I think I agree with the yearbook staff.

I've shot gazillions of senior photos and the idea of shooting something like this was never on my radar. (I never had someone request something like this for a school photo, either.) I think parents would have been all up in my face if I had done so.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 27 • Views: 14,380 • Replies: 161

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 01:47 pm
It's kind of sad if that's how she sees herself, but i can't think of a plausible objection to it. I was not aware that people submitted photots for yearbooks. In ancient times, we had a photographer come in, and the head shot photos he took were what was used in the yearbook.
sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 01:48 pm
@boomerang,
Hmmmmmmm.

I think it's a stupid, trashy photo and reflects badly on at her or the photographer, whomever's idea it was (and probably the photographer regardless for going ahead with it).

The rejection thing gives me pause though. My yearbook had all kinds of crazy pictures of people wearing crazy clothes and crazy piercings and crazy hairdos, and I think that's fine. (If extremely dated, why didn't that hair Flock of Seagulls hair look weirder at the time?)

It's hard to draw lines for this stuff and so I'd tend to prefer erring on the side of personal expression. I'd worry about where the rejection rules would go.

But probably a way to do it reasonably.

I do remember being a clueless 17 year old (probably her age when the photos were taken) and just not really seeing the sexual component of what I thought was "pretty" or "fashionable."
boomerang

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 01:52 pm
@Setanta,
I think in a few years she'd really regret that she chose that one.

The yearbook staff said that it was "too provocative".

Digital photography really changed how yearbooks are put together. Pretty much anything goes now and most schools allow students to submit their own photos.
outgoingpeep

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 01:53 pm
@boomerang,
I agree with you. When I was in high school we would NEVER post pictures like this. For the yearbook, you are supposed to pose for " clown class", "most popular", "most intelligent", "most beautiful" so on and so forth and those poses DON'T require for you to pose like if you're shooting a playboy magazine.

In high school I was voted for different categories and one of them was homecoming duchess and I never posed like that!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 01:54 pm
@sozobe,
My ex was editor of his high school yearbook, and also drew the cover for it. Heh, the good brothers did not distribute it for, I think, some weeks. Bet they changed some rules after that. (It had to do with vibes of the time, that's all I'll say.)

Anyway, I understand and think I agree with Soz. If there are going to be rejections, there should be rules in place (rules, code, standard - some word like that), prior to the photography and printing.

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 01:59 pm
@sozobe,
It seems that her parents approved the submission of this photo, so there's that aspect of it too.

I don't know how much blame we can place on the photographer because it's hard to be sure of her age. I don't think I would have shot such a photo of a minor but I know there are people who will.

I don't really have a problem with the photo in and of itself but I don't think it's appropriate for a yearbook.

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 02:07 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
. . . I don't think it's appropriate for a yearbook.

How very anile (old womanish) of you.
boomerang

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 02:16 pm
@Setanta,
Yep, I'm a wrinkled up old prude.
Questioner

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 02:18 pm
@boomerang,
The photographer that agreed to take that photo should probably be registered on a list somewhere.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 03:07 pm
Yearbook photos for the graduating class should just be head/shoulder shots. All uniform.

Yes, it looks to provocative for a yearbook.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 03:27 pm
@boomerang,
Agreed - not appropriate - not sure what the school's requirements are - but I thought they are supposed to be head shots - portraits basically from the sholders on up. That could be one way to disallow without all the potential crap the school could get.

Also - on an aside - quite honestly what sort of parent would allow their teenage daughter to submit or even pose for such a picture?
Rockhead

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 03:29 pm
@Linkat,
Hugh Hefner?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 03:31 pm
@Linkat,
Anyone that was ever on a TV show with 'Housewives' in the title?
Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 03:34 pm
@Questioner,
yeah - yeah there are those parents.....the list (sadly) goes on and on....
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 03:50 pm
Did she submit her phone number to be posted with the pic?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 03:56 pm
For a second I thought her top was a black bar added to hide her naked boobies. It's not appropriate for a year book. Maybe for an acting or modeling portfolio, but unless she is running for the title of Class Tramp I would veto it .
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 04:08 pm
I think the young woman thinks she looks hot in the picture.

I think she looks hot in the picture also. Very hot, in fact.

Can't see any reason to exclude the picture just because the subject looks hot, though.

I doubt it is more revealing than the young people see in class every day.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 05:48 pm
Quote:
Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'
msolga

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 06:01 pm
@boomerang,
It's sort of a "come-hither" look & pose, isn't it?

As it looks like it was produced professionally it was probably part of her portfolio for an aspiring modeling career, or something like that ... which is fine.
But apart from anything else, I don't think high school year books are an appropriate place for self -promotion. She probably has lots of such shots on her Facebook page which would suit that purpose perfectly well ..

I'm not shocked, horrified, outraged, etc, by the photograph Wink , but I don't really think it was the best choice for her year book image. I'm pretty certain it would not be accepted in any Oz school's end of year magazine (year book).
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should this photo be allowed in a yearbook?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 07:56:28