Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 10:01 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,936 • Replies: 82
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 01:35 pm
I just heard about this on the radio....Im shocked and appauled.

Okay..maybe not entirely but, still.

First..my main argument for this, as always

WHAT ABOUT THE SEPERATION OF CHURCH
& STATE???
There are private, religious schools is that is your view and that is how you want your chidren to be educated.

next...
If I was a religous minded parent and concerned with how my child was being taught---couldnt afford a private school..I would be strong enough in my convictions that I would think I could explore another viewpoint, and actually would want my child to know others out there in which to prepare them for the real world.

Now...for this in particular
Its another twist of PC ism thats simply ridiculous and I am thankful to live above the mason dixon line.

as always..rant over for the moment and
thanksforlistening
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 12:58 am
Another example of how closed minded Christianity can be. Christians want their beliefs to be taught in public schools but won't tolerate thinking which conflicts with their beliefs. Evolution is a theory not a religion. It's one way to look at the history of the world which quite frankly is more logical than the stories in Bible, which is also not based on proved facts. What makes one theory or faith better than the other?
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 04:03 pm
Not all christians want that. Just the unbelievably blind christians. Most sensible christians (as i)accept evolution and the creation of earth etc.. THe banning of "evolution" is one of the lowest things you can do. Censoring education for your "conflicting" religious beliefs. I wish these ahrd core christians would learn to accept the fact that the OT is, for the most part, legends and isnt real (Adam and eve, Noah's Ark are case and point)
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 03:35 am
I don't see this as being about religion at all. It's a language issue. They're not changing what they teach, just what they call it. It's like deciding to call garbage men "sanitation engineers". For whatever reason, the word has stigma to them, and so they're not using it. It's stupid. <See PC thread>
0 Replies

medved

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 02:13 pm
Competitive disadvantage??
"Educators across the state said that the document, which was released on the Internet this month, was a veiled effort to bolster creationism and that it would leave the state's public school graduates at a disadvantage. "

No it won't. I mean, even in the worst possible case from the perspective of the evolutionists, replacing evolutionism with Christianity won't leave the kids at any sort of a competitive disadvantage. In fact, you could replace evolution with voodoo or rastifari, and the kids would STILL not be left at any sort of a disadvantage. Believing in any brain-dead ideological doctrine is basically bad for you and, just like killing people (according to most murderers who have written about it at least), it gets easier after the first one.

In other words, a kid who leaves school believing in evolutionism, will be more susceptable to being taken in by other scams and swindles, things like "global warming" for instance. P.T. Barnum said there's a sucker born every minute, and having the kids endoctrinated in something like evolutionism in schools doesn't help the situation.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 03:30 pm
Are you trying to say that the big guy did it in six days is what should be taught in our public schools?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 03:34 pm
Evolutionism? The theory of evolution is not an ideology, it is not an "-ism." Biographers of P. T. Barnum, by the way, deny that he ever said any such thing.

Could you recommend to me the drugs which have carried you so, so far from reality?
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 03:39 pm
roverroad wrote:
Another example of how closed minded Christianity can be. Christians want their beliefs to be taught in public schools but won't tolerate thinking which conflicts with their beliefs.

That's a blanket statement, don't ya think? Not all Christians have that mind set.
0 Replies

medved

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 04:19 pm
html test
<b>html test</b>
<P>
<i><h3>html shows only as codes in preview mode here...</i></h3>
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 04:20 pm
Use BBCode instead.
0 Replies

medved

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 04:27 pm
bbcode...
<center><font color = 'red'>BB code test</center></font>
<P>
<i><h3>html shows only as codes in preview mode here...</i></h3>
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 04:29 pm
Looks like dude is preparin' to rant, but ain't gettin' it off with the oversized, colorful text with which dude hopes to assail us . . .

too bad about that . . .
0 Replies

medved

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 04:33 pm
OK, I'll forget about html on this forum.

The major problem with evolutionism is that it basically turns everything we know about modern mathematics and probability theory upside down. In other words, a reasonable person might want to at least hear about a theory which required one or two outright zero-probability events in the entire history of the solar system, but evolution requires infinite sequences of such probabilistic miracles and it's not even obvious whether or not we're even talking about a countable infinity of such violations of probabilistic laws. The bible, on the other hand, even if you were to take it literally which few do, probably contains accounts of 30 - 50 miracles.

You could make up a new religion by taking the single stupidest doctrine from each of the existing religions and even that would be intelligent compared to evolutionism.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 04:34 pm
You sure have an ax to grind, don't ya Bubba . . . evolutionism . . . heeheeheeheeheehee . . . you crack me up . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 04:36 pm
[size=28]MY GOD CAN KICK YOUR GOD'S PATHETIC ASS[/size]
0 Replies

medved

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 04:42 pm
You don't even need to believe in God to reject evolutionism; all you need is a rational mind. I know atheists who reject it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 04:43 pm
yer shittin' me . . .
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 05:01 pm
medved wrote:
You don't even need to believe in God to reject evolutionism; all you need is a rational mind. I know atheists who reject it.

you didn't answer my question.
Quote:
Are you trying to say that the big guy did it in six days is what should be taught in our public schools?
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 07:58 pm
For an alternative view on the creation narrative I would like to recommend Emanuel Swedenborg's Arcana Coelestia (the beginning of it). It's available online from several web sites (English translations as well as the original Latin). Do a Google search if you're interested.

For those who don't know, Swedenborg was an 18th century scientist, philosopher, theologian, spiritual explorer and many other things, from Sweden, who claimed to have been in direct contact with spirits and angels, and communicated with these for every day during many years of his life. He is probably best known for his work "Heaven and Hell" in which he treats of the life after death.

According to Swedenborg most of the Old Testament is not written as a historical account in literal form, but rather has its true meaning in a spiritual, or inward sense (which was known to the people of old, but has since fallen into oblivion). In Arcana Coelestia he explains what just about every word in Genesis and Exodus from the Bible signifies (for example what the sun, the moon, Adam, Eve, Noah etc signify) in this spiritual sense, and from this an entirely different picture is drawn than from one based on the literal sense of these books.

As for the creation narrative, Swedenborg claims that it in fact has nothing to do with the creation of Earth, but is rather about the regeneration of man, and that the six days denote six states of this regeneration. That man is born into the first state (one of void and darkness), but through the guidance of God can be raised to these higher states, which he explain in detail in this book.

Most people probably think Swedenborg was insane due to his claims of talking to spirits and such, but the remarkable consistency of his writings, and the clear-sighted reasoning he so often presents cannot easily be ignored in my opinion.
0 Replies