viewforum titles

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 09:27 am
I had this epiphany at night, don't laugh, but is it possible to give different forums their own titles so that maybe more people would find it on search engines using different search queries?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,582 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 10:49 am
Yes, that's how it already works. Laughing
0 Replies

khisanthax

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 10:53 am
is that what {page_title} is for? I hard coded mine because it wasn't giving a good title for the index.php, but is there any way to customise it more?

some, epiphany . . .
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 11:05 am
LOL, yeah, undo that and customize your page title through the lang file. I gave instructions on how to do this twice on the SEO mod thread (the last posts are about this).
0 Replies

khisanthax

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 12:41 pm
you da man!

I'll do that =)
0 Replies

khisanthax

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 04:25 pm
but can I customize each forums title? or only be actually changing the forum name?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 04:33 pm
It would be the forum name. Anything else would need additional fields in the database and code changes.
0 Replies

khisanthax

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 06:19 pm
up to how long would you suggest the title name be for the index/viewforum?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:47 pm
Depends.

If the keyword you want to target is "widgets" then "widgets" is the best title.

But say you want keyword combinations, then you might use "widget forum" or "widgets - blue, black, purple.."

Each word you add helps you with keyword combinations but hurts your single keyword by dilluting it.

So you need to see what works for you. I usually analyze my server logs to see whether I should go for keyword combos or the plain keywords.
0 Replies

khisanthax

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:59 pm
I haven't figured out how to use the server logs . . . but go with compact and to the point? fewest words as possible and still get the people you want?

you know, this seo stuff isn't as easy as I first thought. I find myself constantly trying to tweak titles and words, and getting reciprocal links *phew* tough work =)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 08:05 pm
I'd go with compact IF you can get good placement in those keywords. If not I'd go for a longer title to try to snag combos.

Re: SEO, if it's easy others will do it, thereby making it harder through competition.

So it's basically as tough as the cleverest people out there.
0 Replies

khisanthax

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 09:27 pm
well, the cleverest people that i'm competing with at least =)

couldn't handle it any other way
0 Replies