I changed my laundry detergent

jcboy

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 08:52 am
I have always used Tide because that’s what my mom used. Well about a week ago I changed to Gain, Laundry detergent and fabric softener. I love the smell of Gain on the sheets and towels.

As you can tell I’m doing some laundry this morning.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 24 • Views: 5,282 • Replies: 37

contrex

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 09:54 am
I really hate the smell of scented laundry detergents, they give me asthma attacks.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 10:00 am
@jcboy,
hmmm....

I tried Gain, and the scent was too strong for me.

I'm a Tide girl.

just sayin'
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 10:13 am
Antonio loves it. He can now change his own sheets and pillow cases by himself and he said it makes his room smell good. Cool
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 10:37 am
I like a fresh scent too on my laundry. I am not particular loyal to one brand, it has to be powder though and right now I am using "Surf"

For a while I used "soap nuts" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapindus all natural nuts that clean and soften the laundry very nicely.
contrex

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 10:39 am
I really need non scented laundry detergent because of my asthma, but even if I didn't, I'd hate to have my home and clothes smelling of some chemical company's idea of "fragrance". Yuk. Also I hate those air freshener products like Glade for the same reasons.

Ragman

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 10:50 am
@jcboy,
Even though I am not allergic, I use dye-free and smell-free when I can. I think I've had itchy rashes when I don't use it. I do admit to liking the smell of fresh rain. So anyone that makes detergent that smells like that, I use.

Looking at my detergent now to see what I use just for curiosity.

Tide: Free & Gentle (free of dyes and perfumes)
Arm & Hammer (sensitive skin) skin-friendly fresh scent

BTW, did you know that fabric softener shortens the life of clothes? I learned this recently. It weakens the fibers and seams (like in jeans and reg pants).

This is consumer info and opinion on fabric softener:

"People prone to allergies may be sensitive to fabric softeners and, especially in case of babies, react with rashes. In most cases, the sensitivity is caused by the scents added. An unscented fabric softener may then be preferable. White vinegar can be also used to make the fabric feel softer and to remove some of the static cling.

Cats and to less degree other pets are sensitive to cationic surfactants. Such chemicals can cause gastrointestinal irritation.

Fabrics treated with cationic softeners display some tendency to yellow. This is believed to be caused by presence of colored impurities in the softening agents, presence of alkaline substances during ironing or pressing, or presence of traces of iron.

Fabric softeners may aggravate fire hazards of materials like cotton, velvet, and terrycloth, and lessen the effectiveness of fire-resistant clothing materials."
jcboy

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 10:55 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
BTW, did you know that fabric softener shortens the life of clothes? I learned this recently. It weakens the fibers and seams (like in jeans and reg pants).

Come to think of it I do recall reading something about that recently.
chai2

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 11:17 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

I like a fresh scent too on my laundry. I am not particular loyal to one brand, it has to be powder though and right now I am using "Surf"

For a while I used "soap nuts" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapindus all natural nuts that clean and soften the laundry very nicely.

Soap nuts?

That's very interesting.

I quickly looked at a couple of sites that sell them. They're worth looking into (putting on my end of year chores Wink )

It says on one site it's best using in a warm wash, since that releases whatever it it that does the clearning. 3 nuts per wash, can be used 3 times.

Can I soak for a few minutes in warm water, then add it to the wash? I prefer washing in cold water.

Re fabric softener, I stopped using it completely for my clothes. I just add vinegar to the rinse water.

Doesn't make the clothes smell like vinegar, just helps get all the soap out, and helps prevent static cling.

contrex, maybe you could try the soap nuts and/or vinegar.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 11:20 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

I really need non scented laundry detergent because of my asthma, but even if I didn't, I'd hate to have my home and clothes smelling of some chemical company's idea of "fragrance". Yuk. Also I hate those air freshener products like Glade for the same reasons.

Oh, BTW, if you have odors in the air, you can spray a solution of water and vinegar in the air. Just a few squirts.

The vinegar smell goes away in a minute, and the air is fresh.

You can also just place a saucer of vinegar in a room, and that will freshen the air too.
chai2

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 11:27 am
Ah.
Here's information I found on this website...

http://www.re-nest.com/re-nest/cleaning/soap-nuts-a-green-laundry-detergent-alternative-115779

Soap nuts have been used in India for centuries for cleaning. The 'nuts' are actually berries from the Chinese Soapberry tree, and contain saponin, a natural cleaner. To wash clothes, you put a couple of soap nuts in a cotton bag, and put that in the washing machine. The soapnuts can be reused a few times, and then composted. Soap nut users swear that they clean just as well as regular detergent, and clothes come out unscented but fresh.

The catch: saponin is best released using hot water, and the best choice for the environment is definitely washing in cold water. Soap nut suppliers like Laundry Tree recommend making a sort of tea or liquid detergent from the soap nuts if you want to use cold water in your laundry machine. (It sounds pretty easy: just soak the soap nuts in hot water overnight, and then use the resulting liquid.)
chai2

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 11:34 am
@chai2,
WOW....

More good information..

Soapnut Soak is a wonder.
It basically turns soapnuts into liquid deterget — convenient and easy to use.
Making it takes less than 5 minutes — including the time it takes to find the utensils. Even if you’re no kitchen whiz, you’ll find the process is as effortless as making a pot of tea — with useful, economical results.

The Recipe
■Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a heavy saucepan with a lid.
■Turn off the heat and toss 6-8 soapnuts in the saucepan with the hot water. (If you're using Soapnut Bits, use about 1/2 cup).
■Cover the saucepan, and let it sit overnight.
■In the morning, fish out and discard the remaining soapnut shells.
■Pour the cooled liquid into a container with a lid. (We use a pretty antique bottle that makes us smile every time we reach for it. We sell a reclaimed glass bottle thats pretty nifty, too. But an old spaghetti sauce jar will work just fine).
■(Optional) If you’d like your Soapnut Soak to have a scent, add your favorite essential oils. We suggest lemon or tea tree oil for bathroom cleanser, lavender for cold water laundry loads, and sweet orange for dishwasher cleaning liquid.

This batch of Soapnut Soak will wash at least 16 loads of laundry. Use 1/4 to 1/2 cup for each load. (You can adjust this amount as needed, depending on the size of the load and how dirty the contents are).

It can also be used to safely replace many household chemicals: window cleaner, bathroom cleaner, kitchen cleaner, floor cleaner, multi-purpose cleaner, liquid hand soap, delicate laundry soap, and even shampoo.

You can also double or triple the recipe to accommodate your laundry schedule! Keep in mind, though, that If you’ve made enough to last more than a week or two, it’s a good idea to keep it refrigerated in a clearly labeled bottle.

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 12:14 pm
@chai2,
Chai, when I bought the soap nuts the company supplied a few linen pouches where you put 5 or 6 soap nuts in and I just toss it to the laundry and re-use it good 5 times. It's amazing how clean the laundry gets and how soft it comes out of the dryer - with absolutely no other additives.
roger

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 02:10 pm
@Ragman,
Fabric softeners also reduce the insulating properties of winter clothing.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 02:25 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Chai, when I bought the soap nuts the company supplied a few linen pouches where you put 5 or 6 soap nuts in and I just toss it to the laundry and re-use it good 5 times. It's amazing how clean the laundry gets and how soft it comes out of the dryer - with absolutely no other additives.

Why did you stop using them cj?
Green Witch

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 02:28 pm
I consider most of the commercial stuff toxic and over priced. Tide is especially strong and often triggers allergies, especially in children. I started making my own stuff years ago and would never go back to the supermarket selection. Your own costs pennies compared to the big brands, and while it has some brand names it's pretty basic stuff found in any cleaning supply aisle. Below is the recipe, but I also use my own homemade bar soap (you can use any type):

Homemade liquid laundry soap recipes:

4 Cups hot water
1 soap bar
1 Cup – Arm & Hammer Super WASHING SODA (NOT BAKING SODA)
½ Cup Borax
1, Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
2, Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
3, Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use.
tips: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil, vetiver, sandalwood
Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)
Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

If you prefer powder form here is a 1 minute video that shows you how. It doesn't get any simpler:

http://www.naturalhouseholdcleaners.net/how-to-make-organic-laundry-soap.php
MMarciano

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 02:47 pm
I didn't know he knew how to do laundry.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 03:03 pm
@chai2,
I run out of them and neglected to order a new batch....I still have regular detergent left but as soon as its gone, I definitely will buy the soap nuts again.
They're the nuts Laughing
ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 03:06 pm
@Green Witch,
Thanks for the recipe. I'd have to make an 1/8th of it at a time..

Chai, how much vinegar do you add to the rinse cycle?
Ragman

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 03:10 pm
@CalamityJane,
Where in the world do you get these soap nuts? I missed where someone said where to get them?