I changed my laundry detergent

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 03:26 pm
@chai2,
Hmmm, looked the chinese soapberry up in my Sunset Western Garden bible - not there, haven't googled yet. But the Chilean Soapberry is. In that case, seems to be the bark that is used in Chile for washing, per Sunset. Looks like it might make it growing in my Sunset zone. (Sunset zones cover both cold hardiness and heat).

Hmm, looks like one can buy chinese soapberry seeds online - Sapindus mukorossi. So, will a soapberry seed sprout and bring me a tree?

Also see a mayan soapberry tree.. oooh, and a western soapberry tree, Sapindus drummondii (http://www.arborday.org/treeguide/treeDetail.cfm?id=152)
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 03:31 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman,
I buy mine from here
http://stores.greenvirginproducts.com/StoreFront.bok
ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 03:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Looked at davesgarden online, and the chinese one does grow in my zone..
alas, it demands moist soil. Fuggedaboudit.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 03:38 pm
@CalamityJane,
yeah, and there're other sites too.

I'll check out the prices, shipping etc.
chai2

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 03:39 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Chai, how much vinegar do you add to the rinse cycle?

I dunno, a couple three glops.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 03:40 pm
@chai2,
hahaha.. sounds right.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 03:48 pm
@CalamityJane,
thanks, CJ..

Happy New Year (and clean green clothes) to all!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 10:00 am
@chai2,
Thanks so much all of you. Depending on how well I like it with a small quantity, I may be switching laundry detergents - for good.
0 Replies

mellisat

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 06:25 am
I am trying to wash my cloths last one week but nothing done because too cold here
0 Replies

DannyVboy

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 03:34 pm
@jcboy,
Can I drop some laundry off later today?
MMarciano

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 07:25 pm
@DannyVboy,
You can try but he mixes the whites with the colored clothes, still want to bring some by?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 07:33 pm
@MMarciano,
Depends, do you have a purple robe?

Several of my clothes have been improved when they went in the was with that.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 01:04 am
@MMarciano,
Quote:
You can try but he mixes the whites with the colored clothes, still want to bring some by?

Buy him some Shout Color Catcher. They are small sheets, like the Bounce dryer sheets, but you put these into the wash cycle and they absorb excess dyes from colored clothes so they don't discolor the white ones. That lets you wash the whites with the colored clothes and it saves time because you don't have to do separate loads. I think they are great.
http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/08768529000_20110610080136044
MMarciano

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 07:21 am
@firefly,
Does it come in 5 gal containers? we may need it Smile
0 Replies

mirii

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 01:58 am
@contrex,
completely agree. I start wheezing when I am even near clothes that have been bathed in toxic laundry detergent. It contains petroleum distillates - a known carcinogen. I can only use ECOVER or SEVENTH Generation products. Wake up ppl- that "fresh scent" is toxic. Please stop supporting these companies. Do your research. Us folks with asthma are the canaries in the coal mine- long term effect include cancer, lung disease, Parkinson's disease, and who knows what else. PLEASE STOP USING THESE PRODUCTS. SOME OF US JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO BREATHE!
0 Replies

mirii

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 02:01 am
@jcboy,
and shortens the life of ppl too. see my other post. Sad please stop using these products. breaking out in a rash or being unable to breathe is a huge warning sign that these products are toxic. natural detergents like seventh generation or ecover don't cause these problems. long term effects include parkinson's disease, lung problems, cancer. It's not worth it! I wash my clothes with non toxix products and hang them on the line. my clothes smell clean- no allergic reaction- and extends the life of the clothes too! Smile
0 Replies

mirii

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 02:02 am
@chai2,
agree completely!
0 Replies

StarrTV

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 06:38 am
There seems to be a trend now for super strong smells in detergent and laundry additives. Febreze is hugely offensive as are Gain Flings and Downy Unstoppables . . . crystals that are poured into the dryer that will make you clothes smell for 12 weeks. These lingering smells are polluting the air for everyone else around and are particularly problematic for the elderly and those with asthma and other breathing problems. It's a shame that users of these products do not know how offensive they are to the rest of us.
0 Replies