Impossible Feats

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 06:28 pm
I just had the urge to try these impossible scenarios out today and I can't get them to work. If any of you can tell me how I can trick my mind into performing these tasks, please enlighten me. Or, if you have any other impossible tasks, I would really like to know.
And please don't try to attempt any of these scenarios by hurting yourself!

1. Try not to think for extended periods of time. Don't think about the little sounds around you. And don't think about not thinking.

2. Try to look directly at the air in front of you. Can't do it, all I see are the fuzzy, out of focus shapes behind the area that I'm looking at.

3. Try to shut off one of your senses. Make it so that you can't hear in a loud room, or can't see with your eyes open, or can't even feel the clothes on your back.

4. Try to taste your mouth.

5. Try to tickle yourself.

6. This isn't necessarily impossible, but try to remember your very first memory. When was it? What happened?

7. Try to faint.

8. Try to force yourself to smell or taste a familiar taste.

9. Imagine a new color.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 787 • Replies: 4
No top replies

rufio

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 07:54 pm
I've done #3 before.... meditation. I've never been able to do #1, even so. For #2 - there's nothing to look at, so you can't really look at it. I've never fainted, and never succesfully been tickled by other people, so I doubt I could induce those things myself. #4 - my mouth tastes like nothing. Did anyone ever read those Wayside School books? There was a story in it where the teacher made ice cream that was flavored like the inside of everyone's mouth. I've never done #8, and if I could imagine a new color, I could see it and it wouldn't be new. My first memory I think was when I was about 4 - I could only just reach the top of my parents' dresser and I was feeling around for spare change up there.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 08:00 pm
Exactly, how do you taste your own mouth if you've been designed not to. If I haven't brushed my teeth in a while I can, but that's not my mouth then, is it?

I thought meditation was not thinking. Is it really just shutting everything else down so that you can think really well?

Technically, you can look at air. I have yet to do so. It is, however, incredibly interesting to see how the room looks two dimensional when you try to look directly at the air.

If you could imagine a new color, then it would still be new after you see it in your head. For those of you extremely literal people out there, let's just assume that "new" means that nobody has ever seen it before you.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 09:09 pm
Well, that's the way I always did meditation anyway. I don't think you can look at air - the light that you see doesn't bounce off of it. I'm sure that there's some shade of blue or so that no one has actually seen but that could exist. Is that what you mean?
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 09:58 pm
I don't really know. I suppose it really is an impossible feat then.
0 Replies