have to unplug the motherboard in order to start my computer

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 02:12 pm
> i have just installed a new computer for the first time.
>
> everything works perfectly. however, this is one problem.
>
> once i turn off the computer, it won't start properly.
> that means, after i press the power button on the
> computer, i can see the fan on the motherboard running,
> etc. but the computer screen would still be in the
> hibernation mood.
>
> and the only way to solve it is to unplug the two plugs on
> the motherboard. I think that if i unplug the ATX
> (something like that) plug, most of the time, it will work.
>
> so i have to unplug it, leave it for a few minutes. then
> plug it back on the motherboard, then press the power
> button.
>
> after that, the computer will start.
>
> so what is wrong with my new computer? thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 900 • Replies: 5
No top replies

rorwizard

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 09:04 pm
Its one of two things:

1. Your Mother board is fried.

2. Your Power Supply's overload protection is screwed up. I wouldn't recommend screwing with it though, you can electrocute yourself rather easily if you mess with it.

What you should probably do is go to your local computer establishment and buy a new power supply (you can get a decent one for 20 or 30 dollars) and put it in there and see if that works. IF it doesn't then your mother board is fried, in wich case you need to bring it back to wherever you bought it and get a new one. That all is if you built the computer, wich I infer you did with this statement:
Quote:
> i have just installed a new computer for the first time.

On the other hand if you bought this computer "out of the box" like from a company such as dell, etc. they will probably have a 1-800 support number you can call, and they will repair it for you. Look on the bill or sales receipt. for the 1-800 number
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 02:28 pm
hello.

thanks for the response.

so can you tell me what went wrong in the power supply? And why will it work after i unplug the plug on the motherboard?

And the case that i am using is brand new, it has its own new power supply. how come? now it would be too late to return it though, because the return date has already passed.
0 Replies

rorwizard

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 05:37 pm
I don't really know why this happens, it may be a short circuit or something thats overloading in the powersupply then sends a shock to the motherboard who's failsafe's then kick in. Chances are that its your motherboard however. But I would still try to replace the powersupply first, even if it did come with the case you can still replace it. If you replace it and you still have the same problem then you can always bring the new power supply you bought back and replace your mother board. Motherboards are very fragile, so you may have fried it by putting it on some carpet or not grounding yourself and your tools before working with it (because of static electricity). So I would say go for the power supply first, its cheaper then if not solved, try the mother board.
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 09:14 am
hello.

what will happen if I don't do anything? if i just leave the computer as it is, and unplug it before I start the computer. and just do it like that for the rest of the computer lifetime?

anything will happen?
0 Replies

rorwizard

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 05:39 pm
Well it would be a major pain in the ass, and there is always a chance that something more serious is tripping the mother boards failsafes, so you may be frying a vital system... if its already this bad, chances are it will get worse, its worth fixing
0 Replies