Laptop hardware question

caprice

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:48 pm
I've never opened up my laptop, (yet), so I would like to know the difficulty in adding/replacing memory. Is there anyone with this knowledge? With my old desktop it was a fairly simple process as well as a learning experience. (Always label your cable when you are removing more than one.) I have a Toshiba Satellite 2805-S402.

Any helpful advice would be very much appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 733 • Replies: 6
No top replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 05:57 pm
You don't need to take the laptop apart. There is a memory expansion slot accessible by removing a small panel on the bottom of your laptop.

Turn the thing off, take the two screws out, lift the plastic cover off, slide, the new memory module into the slot, put the cover back in place, put the screws back in and turn it on.

Detailed directions can be found on Toshiba's WWW site:
http://www.toshiba.com Use their "Ask Iris" feature in Product Support and ask the question "How do I install Memory?"
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 06:18 pm
Thanks fishin' Smile

Guess that would have been the sensible thing to do...go to Toshiba's web site! I suppose I've become accustomed to "no help" from a manufacturer's web site. I had problems with my desktop and the company name on the computer did nothing to help me, so I had to figure a lot of things out for myself. A great learning process though!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 08:03 pm
That's probably the biggest advantage of a brand name PC. Compaines like IBM, Dell, Compaq. Toshiba, etc.. do quite a bit to put thing slike manuls, etc.. on-line so "self-help" support is usually very good with any of them.

When you buy from "Bob's PC store" and you need help you're stuck with calling Bob and praying that there is still someone there that remembers something about the model that they sold you. Wink
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 08:06 pm
My desktop was an NEC...purchased before Packard Bell bought them out. I used to work in broadcasting and their video monitors have a good reputation so I figured they would be an okay bet to go with. Their customer service sucked so bad. Their monitors may be good but that's about it. I know that many of the computer parts weren't actually made by NEC, but if you're going to put your name on the product, you'd better be ready to back it up.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 08:07 pm
Huh. NEC used to be pretty decent. Of course - Packard Bell... Well, that explains a few things right there. Wink
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 08:16 pm
Yes, but my computer was purchased before the Packard Bell involvement.

Well, I know the experience soured me against buying anything NEC ever again. The modem was a dud and they wouldn't acknowledge it and neither would the store I purchased it from. Ugh. I hate to even think of the whole fiasco.

Anyhow, it's good to know that memory for my laptop should be a relatively easy thing to do! Smile

My next desktop will be a Mac! Smile
0 Replies