Arrested for dancing??

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 07:14 am
I'm not an american, so there might be something I don't understand here.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhDQkSqii-E

But these people are getting arrested just for dancing??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 2,082 • Replies: 15
No top replies

fresco

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 07:25 am
@Cyracuz,
No, they are getting arrested for being idiots by deliberately provoking the pedantic police. The police are being equally idiotic by rising to that provocation. The French might call it folie a plusieurs.
Cyracuz

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 08:08 am
@fresco,
Perhaps I am equally foolish then, because if a policeman came up to me while I was dancing in a public place and told me to stop or I'd get arrested, it is very likely that I would get arrested. Smile
fresco

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 08:33 am
@Cyracuz,
Smile Isn't there some Zen saying about being like the rushes and bending with the wind ?
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 08:41 am
@Cyracuz,
You don't have to stop dancing because the police tell you to. This isn't Russia. Is this Russia? This isn't Russia.
Cyracuz

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 09:11 am
@fresco,
There probably is. But if you bend far enough they might stick it in you from behind.. Wink
Cyracuz

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 09:12 am
@Ticomaya,
I don't know, Tico. Is it?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 09:14 am
@Cyracuz,
It seems the police action was sanctioned by the appeal ruling of Judge Bates to a 2008 similar incident.
Quote:
In his final decision, Bates took side with the Park Service, writing in his 26-page opinion:
“...the purpose of the Memorial is to publicize Thomas Jefferson's legacy, so that critics and supporters alike may contemplate his place in history. The Park Service prohibits all demonstrations in the interior of the Jefferson Memorial, in order to maintain an "an atmosphere of calm, tranquility, and reverence,"'”
The Justice Department, acting on behalf of the Park Service, wrote in court papers:
“The Memorial is, has long been, and is intended to be a place of calm, tranquillity, and reverence—a place where visitors can go to celebrate and honor Jefferson and enjoy and contemplate the Memorial itself without the distraction of public demonstrations and other expressive activities. The Memorial is akin to a temple or a shrine (both in terms of its purpose and its physical characteristics), not a place of public expression.”

Read more: http://digitaljournal.com/article/307284#ixzz1gi813K5v
Questioner

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 09:25 am
If a uniformed police officer tells you to stop doing something, you stop it or you get arrested. It's that simple. If it's an unlawful arrest or not is for the courts to decide later.

If a policeman tells you to pull over and you don't, you go to jail. Regardless of if you were 'doing nothing wrong or not'. Once the uniformed officer tells you to stop, stopping or going to jail is your only option.

If you openly oppose an officer, expect to get arrested. I find it hilarious that people can still act outraged at this fact. It's all about public spectacle, and no one likes the police officers barking orders until there's a threat to their person and they need help.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 09:36 am
@Questioner,
Questioner wrote:
http://able2know.org/user/walter_hinteler/posts/
If you openly oppose an officer, expect to get arrested.

I'm glad that we don't have "imperial conditions" here anymore since 1918.
Cyracuz

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 10:14 am
@fresco,
So the dancing was seen as demonstrating?

If they had been standing there with posters, would they have been chased away then too? Or arrested if they refused to move?
Seems a bit ironic. Wasn't Thomas Jefferson all for the freedom of expression?

To my mind, the courts trying to dictate how someone should honor the man is unfortunate.

I watched the video again. Two people are standing there, rocking back and forth while holding each other, and they get arrested. No matter how you spin it, that is crazy... Aren't the police the ones who are breaking the tranquil atmosphere?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 10:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Questioner wrote:

I thought once upon a time in Germany after 1918 if you openly opposed an officer you weren't arrested, you were shot.

Or was that just in the movies?
Questioner

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 10:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Questioner wrote:
http://able2know.org/user/walter_hinteler/posts/

At least we don't have to pay taxes for legislation and lawmakers we don't agree with anymore. . . .
roger

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 12:01 pm
@Questioner,
We don't?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 01:29 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

I thought once upon a time in Germany after 1918 if you openly opposed an officer you weren't arrested, you were shot.

I'm writing just now a longer essay about that, did some work in and for history section the university of the police about this topic.

As far as we know here (see e.g. the exhibition "Ordnung und Vernichtung - Die Polizei im NS-Staat" [Order and Destruction. The Police in the Nazi State] in Berlin a couple of months ago) that did happen, mainly during WWII. (About the exhibition)

After 1918 it happened as well, especially during the revolutionary times 1918/9. Many so-called policemen weren't actually policemen but members of the free corps, ex-soldiers nearly all of them.

0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 07:08 pm
I would guess that some rich guy decided that dancing wasent the thing to do and had one of his pet politicians tell the cops to arrest anyone caught dancing. Its how we do things in the good old U.S of A. now days. What ever the 1% want is what the government wants.
0 Replies