iframes and search engines

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:10 am
correct me if I'm wrong, but search engines don't like iframes, right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,525 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:17 am
It's usually not a problem. Google follows SRC links for example and indexes them just fine.

Frames do a bit of SEO damage (dilluting one page, getting search engines to send people to the wrong page...) but they can still be indexed.

The real problem is that users might land on the page inside the Iframe. Without the frame around it will it still amke sense to them? Will there be a way to navigate out?
0 Replies

khisanthax

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:58 am
well, what happened is that my links page has a row of links that, I think, rotate and the links and their images are in an iframe, I guess so that they can rotate. I was concerned that google wouldn't see the links, since they are the links of other sites and it would only be fair since it's reciprocal linking for page rank. But if you say that google follows the src tag and goes to the php file, then that's fine, right?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 12:28 pm
Yeah, unless there's some weird code (which is very possible) they should be getting backlinks.

Thing is, it's certainly not as good of a back link as the PR for the inline page will probably not be nearly as high.
0 Replies

khisanthax

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 11:46 am
I don't get it, what do you mean?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 01:09 pm
What I mean is this. If the home page has a Page Rank (PR) of 6 but the link is on an in line framed file that file might have a lower page rank.

So it will be a backlink worth less than a link on the actual page would be worth.
0 Replies