Recycling Household Waste: Do you or Don't you?

Piffka

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 10:46 am
I've been wondering about recycling. Am I doing too much? Am I wasting my time? What is the current buzz on recycling? Do people around the world recycle or just the lunatics in the Pacific NW?

What do you recycle and how do you do it?
---------------

I'll go first.

For about ten years my garbage collection service has included three bins for recycling (cans, bottles, newspaper), plus they pick up clean paper & flattened cardboard if it's packed in paper bags.

I'm careful about rinsing out the cans & bottles because I store them outside & don't want them to draw flies or raccoons. If a can is too dirty, I toss it in the garbage instead of recycling it.

I don't recycle plastic or batteries.
-------------------
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,959 • Replies: 46
No top replies

husker

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 10:50 am
We recycle everthing possible - in the recycle bin.
One thing I liked when I moved here was how clean the roadsides were and the pride taken to keep it looking that way.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 10:54 am
We recycle paper, cardboard, all metal (even foil), and plastics #1 and #2.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 10:55 am
What's everything possible? You put it all in one bin? I'm looking for details!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 10:57 am
So cjhsa, is that all in one bin? Foil? Cleaned and rolled into a ball? (They don't accept that here.)

Sounds like the lunatics on the west coast recycle what the garbage guys will pick up. Anybody else?
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 10:57 am
Oy. My life. I spend as much time managing trash as I do on A2K. Rolling Eyes Laughing Luckily, we have one bin for recycling. All goes in mixed together. Paper, all kinds except metallic, cardboard, glass and all kinds of recyclable plastic and styrofoam, cans and alum. foil goes in there. I rinse too, to keep the flies and racoons away.

Then we have a green waste bin for garden cuttings, grass, leaves branches, etc. This goes to the city or county for mulch. I try to put as much of that in my compost bin as I can.

Compost bin all the food and garden waste that qualifies.

Garbage disposal. Any thing left that can go in there, goes in.

Everything else goes in a reg. trash can. (hardly any food stuff left for the flies and racoons) This barely gets filled.

So at the end of the week, I have filled a huge recycling bin about 4ft high by about 3 ft square to the top with some left over, about 3 or 4 trash cans of green and I'm lucky if I half fill a regular trash can for what's left over.

Family of four in So Cal.

I don't know. ARE we wasting our time? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:00 am
everthing goes in 1 bin for the recycler that comes on another day than regular trash day.

Paper
Plastic
cardboard
tin cans
bottles

I let Mrs husker take care of what recycles and what does not. Most Thursday am the bin is over flowing. Cuts down on the regular trash.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:00 am
I'd say 90% of our trash goes to recycling.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:05 am
I recycle #1 and #2 plastic, newspaper, cardboard, glass, ceramics, wood, metals, batteries, household chemicals/paints, tires, brown goods, magazines/catlogs and white paper. (a lot of food scraps go into the compost pile too.)

My town doesn't have garbage collection so I have to take it to a transfer station myself. They just have rows of dumpsters for each category and you just sort of move along from one to the next throwing things in.

They also have a "swap shop" area where if you can drop of something serviceable and if someone else wants it they can take it - clothes, shoes, skis, ice skates, books, propane tanks, etc..

MA has state laws that require recycling. The last town I was in they'd inspect your garbage before they'd take it. If they found glass, plastics, etc.. in your trash they'd refuse to pick it up.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:05 am
Another Left Coaster!!!

Fealola -- styrofoam? I'm impressed! Ours is a picky collection service. Things must be separated "just so" and they don't accept plastics, styrofoam, foil, or any glass except bottles.

I pay $8 a month for a garden waste bin that is picked up every other week. The recycling pickup is free.

Do you know how your recycling is separated?

I wonder if we're wasting our time sometimes. There are a lot of landfills though. I just think it takes a lot of time....
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:07 am
fealoloa... thanks for mentioning compost. Not a great alternative for renters and the like, but a must for gardeners.

Yeah, we recycle. Our town went to a Pay-As-You-Throw policy recently. On top of the 60$/year dump fee, they charge 1$ per trash bag. Good incentive to recycle!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:09 am
We have a pretty comprehensive recycling program here. Everything goes in one bag; metal, glass, plastic, paper and cardboard. I compost all my wet stuff and throw out (actual garbage) one little bag every ten days - in the winter. Generally one small bag of garbage and 2 or 3 bags of recycled stuff per pick up.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:11 am
On that note we recycle what we can and also cancelled our trash service and go to the dump every 4 to 6 weeks, I have 8 garbage cans and load them in the trailer. On Sunday is cost $16.75 and the prior visit was on about Mid December, the regular monthly trash costs $36 per month for 1 can and $42.00 for 2 cans (per week)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:12 am
Fishin' -- That's a very impressive list. I've never heard of recycling ceramics. What are brown goods? By wood, do you mean treated wood? Batteries... those are all household batteries or just car batteries?

Tires & paints, etc. are considered hazardous waste here and there are seasonal pickups.

I am amused and alarmed by the idea of garbage inspectors... geez!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:15 am
I have a hard time seeing how the bins of all mixed up recycling can be efficiently separated. Frankly, it makes me wonder if they don't just toss it somewhere.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:17 am
We have one bin in which we put any recyclable plastic, all cans and bottles. We bag newspaper, including the envolop cellophane and shiny color adverts. We recycle cardboard. We recycled styrofoam too until about 1.5 years ago.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:19 am
The mixed bins either go to a facility with people who seperate by hand or one where they incerate enmass and blow the debrit. The different bits go different distances depending on their composition.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:21 am
Actually, the recyclers and scrap yards have made a fortune off of you doing all the separation for them. Trust me on this. I know one, he became an almost billionaire.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:21 am
Piffka wrote:
I have a hard time seeing how the bins of all mixed up recycling can be efficiently separated. Frankly, it makes me wonder if they don't just toss it somewhere.

Me too. I remember reading about a scandal somewhere where they just took it all to the dump.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:24 am
littlek wrote:
The mixed bins either go to a facility with people who seperate by hand or one where they incerate enmass and blow the debrit. The different bits go different distances depending on their composition.

You're kidding right?
0 Replies