Questions about cosmology and looking deep into space

north

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 07:10 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74IsySs3RGU&feature=related[/youtube]

I get it rosborne979

http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/

but that doesn't eliminate all sources of microwaves from much , much , much further sources
Zarathustra

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 07:13 pm
@Cyracuz,
Sorry, I have no clue as to what that sentence means.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 07:16 pm

what WMAP is trying to prove is the back ground microwave left over from BB

but the problem is , is that , WMAP can only do this to a certain volume of the Universe , and a very small volume at that , not the whole Universe
Zarathustra

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 07:21 pm
@north,
This is simply incorrect.

As the stated goal of the mission is:
The science goals of the WMAP broadly dictate that the relative Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) temperature be measured accurately over the *full sky* with high angular resolution and sensitivity. The overriding priority in the design was the need to control systematic errors in the final maps. The specific goal of WMAP is to map the relative CMB temperature over the *full sky* with an angular resolution of at least 0.3°, a sensitivity of 20 µK per 0.3° square pixel, with systematic artifacts limited to 5 µK per pixel.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 07:22 pm
@north,
north wrote:
but the problem is , is that , WMAP can only do this to a certain volume of the Universe , and a very small volume at that , not the whole Universe

So what. Even if that were accurate, everywhere they look the basic pattern of the early radiation is the same. Are you implying that we can not deduce the overall structure by examining particular areas and seeing that they are similar?
north

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 07:27 pm
@rosborne979,

north wrote:

Quote:
So what. Everywhere they look the basic pattern of the early radiation is the same. Are you implying that we can not deduce the overall structure by examining particular areas and seeing that they are similar?

everywhere is a small volume of space , a very small volume at that

and like I said ALL the sources of microwaves in the Universe has not been eliminated
rosborne979

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 07:31 pm
@north,
north wrote:
but that doesn't eliminate all sources of microwaves from much , much , much further sources
I'm not sure what you are objecting to with the results of WMAP. There are other sources of Microwaves, but the experiment eliminates all known sources related to galactic level structures or objects.

The whole point of the scan is to reveal asymmetrical distribution of energy/heat/microwaves at an enormous scale. Are you implying that there is (or are) objects of some type at that scale which existed in the early universe which do not exist now?
north

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 07:32 pm
@Zarathustra,
Zarathustra wrote:

This is simply incorrect.

As the stated goal of the mission is:
The science goals of the WMAP broadly dictate that the relative Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) temperature be measured accurately over the *full sky* with high angular resolution and sensitivity. The overriding priority in the design was the need to control systematic errors in the final maps. The specific goal of WMAP is to map the relative CMB temperature over the *full sky* with an angular resolution of at least 0.3°, a sensitivity of 20 µK per 0.3° square pixel, with systematic artifacts limited to 5 µK per pixel.

notice " full sky " well full sky means what , probably visually
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 07:33 pm
@north,
north wrote:

everywhere is a small volume of space , a very small volume at that

and like I said ALL the sources of microwaves in the Universe has not been eliminated

You think there are dragons out there belching microwaves or something? Smile

I really don't understand what you're implying. Sorry.
0 Replies

33export

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 07:36 pm
Website Universe,Galaxies and Stars may help you.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 07:40 pm
@rosborne979,

north wrote:

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are objecting to with the results of WMAP. There are other sources of Microwaves, but the experiment eliminates all known sources related to galactic level structures or objects.

only to a certain depth of volume , of the Universe ,which is a minuscule compared to the Universe its self

Quote:
The whole point of the scan is to reveal asymmetrical distribution of energy/heat/microwaves at an enormous scale. Are you implying that there is (or are) objects of some type at that scale which existed in the early universe which do not exist now?

no

what I'm implying is that all sources of microwaves have not been eliminated and hence is not a form of proof of BB ( big-bang theory )
rosborne979

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 07:49 pm
@north,
north wrote:
what I'm implying is that all sources of microwaves have not been eliminated and hence is not a form of proof of BB ( big-bang theory )

They have gone to a great deal of trouble to eliminate reasonable sources of microwaves. Their data and methods are here:
http://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov/product/map/pub_papers/sevenyear/foreground/wmap_7yr_foreground_images.cfm

If you are making a philosophical point, then I agree because nothing in science (or the human condition) can be proven absolutely.

But if you're making a scientific point, then the evidence they have gathered is overwhelming supportive of the structures and predictions made by the Big Bang Theory.
north

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 07:59 pm
@rosborne979,
north wrote:

Quote:
They have gone to a great deal of trouble to eliminate reasonable sources of microwaves. Their data and methods are here:
http://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov/product/map/pub_papers/sevenyear/foreground/wmap_7yr_foreground_images.cfm

Quote:
If you are making a philosophical point, then I agree because nothing in science (or the human condition) can be proven absolutely.

not philiosphical

scientific

Quote:
But if you're making a scientific point, then the evidence they have gathered is overwhelming supportive of the structures and predictions made by the Big Bang Theory.

but only locally

what was interested in was how many sourses of microwaves were eliminated

galaxies

none were mentioned

rosborne979

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 08:42 pm
@north,
north wrote:

galaxies

none were mentioned

You think they forgot to account for galaxies? Really?
north

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 08:54 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

north wrote:

galaxies

none were mentioned

You think they forgot to account for galaxies? Really?

no

just not the billions of galaxies
0 Replies