"Intellectual" warfare

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 04:15 pm
Being that you brought up intellectual warfare I thought that you may enjoy this video. It is about a group of what I would consider young intellectuals that are standing up and pointing out the lies and corruption in our world and trying to make a difference.

It starts out slow but gets better. It is 6 1/2 minutes long.

north

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 04:34 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Being that you brought up intellectual warfare I thought that you may enjoy this video. It is about a group of what I would consider young intellectuals that are standing up and pointing out the lies and corruption in our world and trying to make a difference.

It starts out slow but gets better. It is 6 1/2 minutes long.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qki2vj7WBKs[/youtube]

now this is good
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 04:38 pm
@north,
I think that they did a very good job of putting that video together.

I recommend clicking on large player so that you can have a big screen view.
north

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 04:47 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

I think that they did a very good job of putting that video together.

I recommend clicking on large player so that you can have a big screen view.

I'll go on youtube , but why recommend a large player ?
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 05:02 pm
@north,
My eyes are not that great and I like to be able to read when the writing is small.

Example about half way in the video they are watching TV and the screen goes black with a message. I could not read the message without it being blown up.
north

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 05:09 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

My eyes are not that great and I like to be able to read when the writing is small.

Example about half way in the video they are watching TV and the screen goes black with a message. I could not read the message without it being blown up.

understood , my eyes are the greatist either
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 06:31 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

I'd like to start by referring to JLNobody's signature line: "The spirit of civil conversation consists in building on another's observation, not overturning it."

Is that always possible?
It seems to me that sometimes a person's claims are so "out there" that there's nothing to build on. You simply have to work around it, voice objections that tear down another's observations simply because there is no way of relating to them.
In my experience, when someone starts feeling that their position isn't really defensible, they start attacking, which is a good tactic if you're fighting a battle, but a bad one if you are trying to understand something better.
But I suspect that not everyone is here to understand something better. They are just here to show off what they already know, and when it fails they get outright volatile.
What's the best way to deal with someone like that?
All too often I let myself get drawn into a contest of insults, when on-topic arguments simply aren't getting through.

At very best, drop such petty fights; at worst, stop engaging in philosophy forums altogether.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 10:41 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Amen to both comments.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 07:36 am
@Ding an Sich,
Lately there have been a few "warmongers" around here, but most of them seem to have withdrawn from the forums. That only goes to show that such attitudes and attempts to establish oneself as an authority simply by bludgeoning people is a self defeating process.
Procrustes

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 09:47 am
@Cyracuz,
Or to put it in another perpective, they're out making money on wall street Wink
0 Replies