Do you agree with Obama's decision to start killing more people? Then why do you support him?

Irishk

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 04:45 pm
@roger,
Quote:
...hookas.
Didn't the CIA get in a little trouble over those?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 05:14 pm
@Irishk,
Nah. That was the Secret Service.
Irishk

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 05:19 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Oh. They wear those dark glasses, so they all look the same to me.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 05:26 pm
@Irishk,
The CIA's Hookas never turn up.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 05:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I cannot imagine what it must be like as a non-American assessing what we are going under leader after leader...but truly, I do not see things changing appreciably in the near future.

Afghanistan was just one example, Frank.
Following the debacles of Vietnam, Iraq, now Yemen, plus meddling & interference in quite a few other countries including Pakistan .... the question I alluded to in an earlier post (which received no response) was: why continue attacking weaker nations when the number of losses keep mounting?
What is the point of continuing to use superior "muscle power" when the failure of such actions are so glaringly obvious?
It makes no sense to me at all.
Apart from humiliating defeats at the hands of much weaker nations, creating so much unnecessary death & destruction to so many innocent civilians, the US & its allies have received global condemnation for such totally necessary wars.

Let's put aside the the historical examples of "muscle flexing" & focus on our immediate problems for a bit. We understand that bullying nations bullied the weak in the past for their own gain because they could.
My question is: why do we continue employing the tactics of "the war on terror" when they are so clearly on the nose & have failed in their objectives?
... in fact have probably created more enemies, more hatred of a powerful oppressor (& its allies) by attacking "rogue nations" than existed before. Say nothing of alienating the civilians of those nations whose "hearts & minds" have definitely not been won over, as intended.
Surely, given the evidence of the mounting number of spectacular failures, the intelligent response would be change tactics ... if a powerful nation actually wants to increase its influence in world?

RABEL222

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 12:02 am
@msolga,
I wish the damned politicians would work on being more popular in the U.S.. And quit worrying about their popularity in the rest of the world.
msolga

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 12:15 am
@RABEL222,
You think they are at all worried about the opinions of the rest of the world, Rabel?
What makes you think so?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 03:44 am
@msolga,
Quote:

Let's put aside the the historical examples of "muscle flexing" & focus on our immediate problems for a bit. We understand that bullying nations bullied the weak in the past for their own gain because they could.
My question is: why do we continue employing the tactics of "the war on terror" when they are so clearly on the nose & have failed in their objectives?
... in fact have probably created more enemies, more hatred of a powerful oppressor (& its allies) by attacking "rogue nations" than existed before. Say nothing of alienating the civilians of those nations whose "hearts & minds" have definitely not been won over, as intended.
Surely, given the evidence of the mounting number of spectacular failures, the intelligent response would be change tactics ... if a powerful nation actually wants to increase its influence in world?

All I can suggest, msolga, is that you are continuing to underestimate the ability of homo sapiens to be absolutely idiots…and barbaric…and frustratingly incoherent and illogical.

We truly have just come down out of the trees; we truly are primitive, barbaric, and illogical beyond comprehension on these kinds of issues. Being primitive, barbaric, and illogical in these areas apparently had great evolutionary advantage for our species…it probably contributed significantly in our becoming the dominant species on the planet. We are nowhere near a philosophical evolutionary period where discontinuing to be those things is going to make sense.

Greece, Rome, England, Spain, France, and so many others didn’t quit being barbaric and “muscle flexors” because they “grew up”…they quit because eventually they got their asses kicked…and kicked very, very hard.

America is not going to quit until it gets squashed…until it no longer IS the dominant military might on the planet.

If you are saying it doesn’t make sense…I agree! Your questions about “why we continue to do it” are born of frustration with the stupidity of the situation rather than a request for a true answer, because you know the actual answer.

We are primitive, barbaric, illogical idiots.

If you want to keep asking the question, I'll keep trying to answer...but the answer is not going to change, just the wording.
msolga

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 06:35 am
@Frank Apisa,
Thanks for your response, Frank.
Though it's damned depressing. I like to think we humans are a bit more evolved in this 21st century.
Sigh.
And no, I won't be asking the question again. This is the first response I've received to that question.
dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 07:11 pm
@msolga,
I'm reading quite an interesting book about the cyber attack on Iran which talks a fair bit about the drones too.

It's way too kind to Obama, I think....but thought provoking as to the WHY of it.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 10:08 pm
@msolga,
My first clue was all the foreign wars we get involved in.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 10:55 pm
@msolga,
Do you consider the current use of predator drones by the US as the bullying of weaker nations by a stronger one?
georgeob1

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 11:32 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
However I do not view the killing happening now as being remotely related to self-defense.

That may be your viewpoint but international law sees it differently.

To what are you referring here? President Bush argues that we were at war with an extra national terrorist organization and that justified detention and interrogation of captured fighters and their trial by military tribnals. Senator and later Candidate and evenPresident Obama denounced that interpretation of events and asserted that civil law should apply, and the rights of captured fighters should be respected. Now he deprives them of all their rights by killing them and, if reports are to be believed, delights in picking the targets himself.

This is self-serving hypocrisy of the first order.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 11:40 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Thanks for your response, Frank.
Though it's damned depressing. I like to think we humans are a bit more evolved in this 21st century.
Sigh.
And no, I won't be asking the question again. This is the first response I've received to that question.

On what basis would you think that we are "more evolved in the 21st century" so soon after the very recent and rather ghastly history of the last century? That appears to me to be quite irrational and contrary to all the lessons of history, and all our knowledge of human nature.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 11:41 pm
@georgeob1,
And, in the main, his followers follow suit.

Obama is an Action Hero for assasinating enemies while Bush was a war criminal for detaining and treating them roughly.

Hypocrisy of the first order indeed.

(By the way I note you are less suspicious of the motivations of Clinton than Obama -- "delights in picking the targets himself?" Even I would have a hard time making that claim)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 11:46 pm
@georgeob1,
Frank, bless his heart, is a Progressive and while that can be defined classically and in today's terms, a commonality is that progress (a synonym of goodness) is, if not guaranteed in any human society not reduced to barbarism by Republicans, than a goal to which we all should aspire.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 11:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

(By the way I note you are less suspicious of the motivations of Clinton than Obama -- "delights in picking the targets himself?" Even I would have a hard time making that claim)

That's how the New York Times reported it and I believe everything I read in the Times. Cool
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 10:00 am
@georgeob1,
I think you missed much of history if you believe it was only the past century.
Mr. Green

I see it as a "progression" as crackpot leaders followed others into mass killing fields. Asaad learned from history.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:37 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Hypocrisy of the first order indeed.

It's in your blood, Finn, at least most all of you. That you would even consider pointing it out reveals that, because you are one of the leaders in hypocrisy.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
He wants to rule the history from which his jaudiced eyes wish to see US involvement in other countries.

Speaking of garbled English, CI. Could you rewrite the above, please?
0 Replies