Why are People Opposed to National IDs?

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 09:04 pm
Any time someone brings up the idea of a "National ID", everyone screams that Big Brother is too powerful, along with other 1984 references. What's wrong with this? We have national social security numbers, drivers' licenses, passports, and several other forms of government identification. What's the problem if every citizen 18 years or older were given an ID similar to a drivers' license with a QR code or something that, when scanned, pulls up all of your information from a unified database? It could function as our credit card, drivers' license, etc. and it could have a special code to text or call to a phone number if it gets lost or stolen, which will immediately de-activate it. For added security, no vital information would be shown on the card, such as addresses or birthdays or anything. It could just be a card with one's picture taking up most of its space. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,182 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 01:29 am
@mouthofrandom,
What do I think? I think I'm very happy to be almost 73 ears old and know that I will -- hopefully -- be dead before any such travesty is actually instituted. God, what a nightmare. If you really, really don't see what's wrong with this idea, then you're probably a robot or android or something, not fully human.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 01:45 am
@mouthofrandom,
mouthofrandom wrote:
Any time someone brings up the idea of a "National ID", everyone screams that Big Brother is too powerful, along with other 1984 references. What's wrong with this? We have national social security numbers, drivers' licenses, passports, and several other forms of government identification. What's the problem if every citizen 18 years or older were given an ID similar to a drivers' license with a QR code or something that, when scanned, pulls up all of your information from a unified database? It could function as our credit card, drivers' license, etc. and it could have a special code to text or call to a phone number if it gets lost or stolen, which will immediately de-activate it. For added security, no vital information would be shown on the card, such as addresses or birthdays or anything. It could just be a card with one's picture taking up most of its space. What do you think?
I think we need to weaken, to strangle, the jurisdiction of government,
bearing in mind that personal freedom and jurisdiction of government are INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL.

David
0 Replies