What is meant by the claim that the human mind starts as a 'Tabula Rasa'?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 05:04 pm
@JLNobody,
These days everybody has a masters in the curriculum but honestly I rather listen to a farmer...I can learn far more with one !
JLNobody

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 08:40 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
A masters degree in what subject?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 10:14 pm
@JLNobody,
...yoghurt thesis... with a yoghurt validity...mostly all the subjects which are not in hard sciences and do not necessitate maths...is that good enough for you or do you have an enchanted view on Bologna also, eh ?
(...not referring to myself I drop off half way with good results...it made me sick to see how the system works...should have chosen science instead of Humanistic´s while I was a kid...it is somewhat less corrupted and less mediocre...)
JLNobody

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 10:25 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I got an advanced degree in penmanship.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 10:25 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I got an advanced degree in penmanship.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 10:29 pm
@JLNobody,
...it makes sense you are an aesthetic at heart, are n´t you ?
JLNobody

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 10:44 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Oh yes--if I understand you correctly.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 12:10 pm
@JLNobody,
Obviously we begin with a cognitive "tabula raza" (blank slate) since we have not learned anything yet--if we are talking about an actual/absolute beginning. But this does not mean that we are not already equipped with a complex set of genetically constituted predispositions to learn things that other species cannot. Chomsky has argued, as I recall, that we are innately predisposed to learn and use language, espectially its structural characteristics (grammar).
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 12:15 pm
@JLNobody,
All animal species learn to communicate; no less than humans. The advantage for humans is our ability to remember history through the written word.
Fido

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 02:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

All animal species learn to communicate; no less than humans. The advantage for humans is our ability to remember history through the written word.
Yes; all animals communicate less than humans, and our difference with them is in our use of forms which allow us to consider our existence objectively...
JLNobody

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 06:30 pm
@Fido,
..and imaginatively (as in our artistic renditions of our existence.)
0 Replies