Flour and its packaging

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 08:09 pm
So, I've noticed for a long time that flour packages are trouble. It takes the very deft to open one and pour flour out without flour dispersion past what you are aiming at. Or without whacking the package sides with the measuring cup after you've manhandled the top of the bag.

A long time means decades. Why do I still have to tear at the folds of my Gold Medal for Bread to measure out cups by spooning carefully? Gold Medal for bread is new to me and may be on it's way out the door. But that brand is not my immediate gripe.

Could any of these folks work up a zip package? Farm and all, but really, sixty years?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,451 • Replies: 13
No top replies

JPB

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 08:17 pm
@ossobuco,
Of course it costs more.

http://www.cookwithaloha.com/goldmedalflour.jpg
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 08:22 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't use much flour, so I buy it unpackaged at a health food store in a plastic bag and at home I transfer it in a airtight glass container.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/258915685/glass_jar_with_air_tight_lid_and.jpg

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 08:29 pm
I use a lot of flour and I do what CJ does. A glass container with a tight lid and a 1/2 cup scoop inside keep everything easy to access. I use various flours and have a separate container for each. You can also get one of these:
http://rarebirdfinds.typepad.com/rare_bird_finds/images/2008/08/01/flour_dispenser.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 08:35 pm
@JPB,
Aha. Not available here in the demimond.

Things are improving though in the last few years (there's an asian section!).

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 08:39 pm
@Green Witch,
Cool. I'd no idea.

Money of course, if you have a lot of flours like me..

Still, an improvement.
Ragman

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:22 pm
@ossobuco,
FWIW, I like King Arthur flour best. I 'cheat' and use a Breadmaker (nice crust). The bread loaves are very consistant. This Breadmaker was a wedding gift in 1988.

I split the flour 50-50 between White Whole Wheat and Whole Wheat. I add some freshly ground flaxseed to this mix. I sift the flour with Nifty Sifter.

After I buy it, I transfer the flour after purchase to Tupperwear. I'm somewhat crazy 'cause I line the container with Saran wrap inside the tupperwear making it closed up inside it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Cheater, cheater...

on the other hand, bet it beats the store.

On another thread, I tried a rye bread recipe for the second time and it almost worked. (No knead rye bread, some thread of mine, a recipe from breadtopia - or wait, I mentioned that second attempt as an add on to the dinner tonight thread). The almost worked bread was wonderful - hard to detail how rich with flavor.

Third time will be the charm.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 11:33 am
@Green Witch,
those are sweet - where do I get one?
Green Witch

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 03:57 pm
@Linkat,
Chefs Catalog
http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/24450-flour-sugar-storage-dispenser.aspx
Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 04:18 pm
@Green Witch,
thanks - love it.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 04:20 pm
@Linkat,
Great - I want some of those too.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 06:36 am
To make sure it spoils quickly ... why else?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 12:30 pm
I was just growling at my torn Gold Medal flour package (yes, I prefer King Arthur but it's more money). I tear nine out of ten packages while trying to open them carefully. Going to have to break down and upgrade...

I do put my flour in individual big glass jars, but there's always some left over in the torn package, grrrr. (Have never seen a flour moth in Albuquerque, but did have them in Los Angeles and northern California. I used laurel bay leaves in the flour there, and that most always worked.

Today I looked up to see if this was a problem for others, and, yes, and there's a reason:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2013/10/packages-that-need-a-makeover/index.htm

quoting,

Gold Medal Flour

The issue. The flour is tightly packed into a delicate paper sack that’s tricky to handle without tearing or making a mess.

The company’s response. “It’s very classic and the way it’s always been,” a customer-service rep said. “And flour is an openly traded commodity. We don’t make much money on it.”

Editor's Note: This article appeared in the October 2013 issue of Consumer Reports magazine.
0 Replies