How Much Have Bags of Doritos Shrunk?

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 06:15 pm
Today they are 11 oz, I think they were 12 3/4 and before that 15 oz....but didn't they start out at 16 oz? Like so many other products you now get less but the packaging stays nearly the same size so that you are not supposed to notice....do you feel conned? Wasn't free market capitalism supposed to have as its backbone transparency? So how did attempts at deception in the marketplace become morally permissible, when did corporate America decide that used cars salesman of old had the right idea ???

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,218 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 06:46 pm
If you think this is bad, check out the size of the hole on toilet paper. I can almost get is round my wrist..
What gets me is, how the price keeps rising.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 07:42 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

If you think this is bad, check out the size of the hole on toilet paper. I can almost get is round my wrist..
What gets me is, how the price keeps rising.
Had not noticed that one, probably because all we buy is Costco tp and they dont pull this crapola so far as I have seen.

Another peeve of mine is rarely do the brands manufacture their goods, they starting in the 80's fired their employees and sold off their plants to subcontractors, who then can produce more cheaply because the brand now has plausible deniability about how poorly treated (compensated) the workers are. Till recently the products that once said "Made by Acme Widget" said "Made for Acme Widget"....now often they say "Distributed by Acme Widget" ....capitalism once held that the employees where stake holders in the firm and that management had a moral obligation to look out for their interests...them days are long gone for most Americans.

EDIT: it needs to be pointed out that with the shrinking contents and increasing packaging per unit we are seeing what we see in many different places now....that being capitalism working against the interests of people. Not only are products less useful now (must change the TP more often) but we also create more waste products that need to be dealt with by the packaging (and with many non consumables more waste because the products are increasingly crap that does not last very long and then must go to the dump). It is another sign that capitalism is dying, which fits into the bigger picture of our civilization being deep into the death spiral. But hey, we sure do like to think of ourselves as the green generation don't we! *sarcasm*
0 Replies