How I can claim my share

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 11:51 pm
Dear Readers,

Last year August, I write a small Visual Basic program for a group Final year Bechalor of Computer Science Students. They are from University of Computer Science Yangon (Hlawgar). They took my program and make a presentation to their teacher. I claim my share but they postpone to pay me. Finally they denied to pay me. I am a the only developper to their project, and I hope nothing worse can happen. So, I give them the copy of my program. It is my fault and they avoid seeing me and denied to pay value of my intellectual work. I live in Myanmar and there has no law concerning IT or Cyber. I have sent a protestion letter about presentation to their teacher but nothing come of it. Is there anyone who hear me and give me some invaluable advices.

Yours
FA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 993 • Replies: 5
No top replies

husker

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 12:19 am
Looks like a pretty big up hill battle - multi-international claim and no written contracts? What kind of proof do you have? Did you compile the code, did you leave any hidden signatures in the code?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 08:16 am
After they denied to pay you (in writing? By phone? By email?), you should not have released the code. Essentially, you should have held out until you were paid.

So it may be too late.

However, how much of a paper or electronic trail have you got? Is it a bunch of phone calls? Time sheets? Letters? Emails? Email can be faked, but it may at least be demonstrative of a commercial relationship.

Also, even if there is no intellectual property law there, you can probably sue under good old fashioned contracts law. You contracted - even if not in writing (although that would help you prove your case) - to provide code in exchange for a consideration (payment).

This is indeed an uphill battle, but it's not an impossible one. So get your proofs lined up, and start looking for an attorney to represent your interests.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 09:31 am
Re: How I can claim my share
francescoandrio wrote:
I live in Myanmar and there has no law concerning IT or Cyber.

You live in Myanmar? Geez, you are so screwed. You don't need legal help, you need to get an exit visa.
0 Replies

francescoandrio

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 10:40 pm
Re: reply
Thanks for all replies,

I have a copy of letter, posted to University of Computer Studies Yangon(UCSY). It is the sole document that I have now. In this letter, I disagree to be presented my software at the juries of teachers from UCSY. In my code there is no signature of the evidence. I gave a CD with my all source code! That 15 students make their teacher believe that they have written all modules by themself. But my letter is posted their teacher just before the second time presentation at their university. First time presentation, I compiled it into binary.

Best Regards,
francesco andrio
0 Replies

francescoandrio

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 10:40 pm
Re: reply
Thanks for all replies,

I have a copy of letter, posted to University of Computer Studies Yangon(UCSY). It is the sole document that I have now. In this letter, I disagree to be presented my software at the juries of teachers from UCSY. In my code there is no signature of the evidence. I gave a CD with my all source code! That 15 students make their teacher believe that they have written all modules by themself. But my letter is posted their teacher just before the second time presentation at their university. First time presentation, I compiled it into binary.

Best Regards,
francesco andrio
0 Replies