Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 07:56 pm
So, I have my story (for a contest) ready for submission. I go to the web site (see link at bottom of post, if curious). The instructions begin, after one becomes a registered member, download the template and write your story on it. Well, after numerous times trying, I figure out how to save the template to my computer. I download three different applications, each of which is suggested by my computer, for opening the damned template. I manage to get the template to open and even paste my story onto it. It looks good.
A box asks me if I want to save these changes and I click yes. But the template reverts to its original state.
I give up for the night, because I have no clue what I am doing.

http://www.lulu.com/blog/2011/11/01/lulu-short-story-contest/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,149 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Forgive me but I'm unclear. Did the article revert to a look that you didn't want? ...meaning did it format the way you want? Realize that the template SHOULD retain it's original charachteristic format. However your article should follow the template..unless you over-ride it (for the purpose of that single time). Have I confused you yet?

Preexisitng templates are only good if they stay as a template. When you want to use that template then it should retain the styling. However if you put different headers, fonts etc, and then should save that syling so you'll need to save that as a separate and new styled template and rename that.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:36 pm
@Ragman,
The template arrives, with a line for Type Your Title Here (you take out that instruction and type your title)
next line Your name
next the body of the story {This part of the template has 600 random words, which are to be deleted and your text pasted here)
next copyright by (put your name here)

The template, as opened is apparently a read only, because I followed the web site's instructions and had the story on there. But then the template reverted to its original look.
Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
but what is unclear to me is...does your article get submitted to the site looking formatted correctly? the template on your HD should remain the same or else it defeats the purpose of having a template.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:53 pm
@Ragman,
I have been unable to get the finished product in any form, right or wrong, to the web site.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 09:06 pm
I will tomorrow download some more free programs until I get the one that opens it the way it is intended, in the absence of a more intelligent plan.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 10:12 pm
Edgar, do you have Microsoft Word on your computer? If so, click on the My_Short_Story.doc 32 KB link in their downloading instructions. You should then have the option to Open the file or Save the file to your hard drive.

I chose to Open the file, pasted some text into it and then saved the file to my local hard drive.

You shouldn't need any other software than MS Word.

If you don't have that program, you can probably use the free version of Open Office for it.

http://www.openoffice.org/

If you're still having troubles, I'd be willing to give you a call and try to walk you through it over the phone.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 05:52 am
@Butrflynet,
I finally stumbled onto that solution. I have it ready to load to Lulu when I get home, later today. Thanks to you and ragman for helping me.
Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 05:53 am
@edgarblythe,
Great. Glad to help (if I was any help). But please tell us what it was. We won't tell anyone...promise.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 05:56 am
@Ragman,
What it was? You mean, my project? A 600 word short story for their contest.
msolga

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 08:04 am
@edgarblythe,
Best of luck with your next try, edgar.
Let us know how it goes, OK?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 10:20 am
@edgarblythe,
no..what fixed the problem? Had you needed to download another app?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 12:48 pm
Microsoft Word did it. But I downloaded the ap, because what I had was not doing it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 08:21 pm
It took a lot of time to do it, but I finally got my entry in. It seems a bit silly, because, although I sort of like this one, I believe it is not the sort of thing to win contests. But, it was fun and that's what counts.
msolga

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 06:17 am
@edgarblythe,
Hooray & fingers crossed for you, edgar.
Ya never know!
0 Replies