'Puter prob. Pls help

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 08:16 pm
This just happened. I click on start, go to my document file, select a document to open and click on it. What comes on is the Miscrosoft Word logo and then -- nuthin'. The ole 'puter freezes up and I can't do anything but shut it off manually and reboot. Happened twice in a row. Anybody got ideas on what's up and how to fix it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 733 • Replies: 7
No top replies

engineer

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 08:23 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Try opening MS Word directly from Start -> Programs. If that works then the problem might be your document. Close Word and double click on a different Word document to see if Word opens correctly. If that works, close the document (but not Word) and use the Open command from the file menu to open your original document.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 08:29 pm
@engineer,
Thx. I'll try it.
Ragman

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 08:38 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I think either there might be a problem with your document (wrong file type) or you have more than one version open at same time.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 08:49 pm
@Ragman,
It has to be the document. I said MS Word; I meant MS Works word processor. So I followed engineer's suggeston and clicked on MS Works on the Start menu. No prob. Clicked on a document at random. No prob. Typed in name of document I wanted to open. BIG prob. Same freeze-up all over again.
Ragman

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 10:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
perhaps there's some sort of corruption to that file. or it has a format that is problematic for some reason?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 01:59 am
@Ragman,
Dunno, Rag. It's something I downloaded from the Internet at least a year or more ago and I have looked at it since. Even printed it out at one point if I remember correctly. It's not an important document; I can probably just delete it to avoid future problems. Maybe. If I can delete it.
Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 11:41 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Perhaps it's simply a matter of that document which might have gotten corrupted somehow. However, if it were me (not being an alarmist) I'd run virus checker test to verify and run memory tests. However, if that is the only doc that has an issue then it is unlikely there's anything else wrong with your computer.
0 Replies