Freezing tomatoes

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 08:21 pm
I have 50 pounds of green tomatoes to make chow chow. I have made a large recipe and I have a lot of them left. I want to make more chow chow later, but not now. Can I freeze the green tomatoes so they do not turn red and use them later (about a week) to make chow chow? If so, how is the best way to freeze them, whole, chopped or sliced? Thanks, Vicki
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,263 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 10:59 pm
@dvsb1234,
http://southernfood.about.com/od/tomatoes/a/green_tomatoes.htm

Quote:
If you have an abundance of good fresh tomatoes, freeze them whole. Just wash, dry, and put them in freezer bags. They'll retain their flavor, and once thawed the peel will slip off easily. Use them in any recipes calling for fresh tomatoes except salads.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/freeze/tomato_green.html

Quote:
Freezing
Green Tomatoes

Preparation – Select firm, sound green tomatoes. Wash, core, and slice 1/4-inch thick.

For Frying – Pack the slices into containers with freezer wrap between the slices. Leave 1/2-inch headspace. Seal and freeze.

farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 06:08 am
@Butrflynet,
We often freeze tomatoes for saucing. They come out rather mushy when defrosted , so Im not sure about chow chow where the idea is to keep some "Tooth" in the veggire. How about a vinegar brine and turne them into refrigerator pickles? They wont get as mushy
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 11:16 am
@farmerman,
I did that last summer with my big crop of green tomatoes that refused to ripen before the snows hit the area.

Can't say that pickled green tomatoes are my favorite... not sure if it was the brine recipe or if they were just too green.
farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 05:00 pm
@Butrflynet,
She wants to make chow chow, which is a "Sweet and sour" mixture of pickled veggies. In the Dutch country we usually use cider vinegar, apple cider, some sugar, cinnamon and cloves and all sorts of cooked and raw veggies.
Cooked
fava beans and limas
kidney beans
sugar snap peas
pearl onions

Raw
Celery strips, Melon rinds
carrot sections
cucumebr slices and juliennes
cauliflower chunks

Weve never added green tomatoes

also we add whole pepper corns (Telicherry holds up really well) and some folks add hungarian wax peppers and one jalepeno per jar

These are best made as a refrigerator pickle mix. If its done up as a canned treat, all the veggies are put in the sweet brine raw and then brought up to a canning temp and lidded up.

Chow chow is a great side dish for meat loaf or ham steaks
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 08:22 pm
@farmerman,
Yep, there's a topic on chow chow recipes around here someplace. I'll see if I can find it and post a link.
0 Replies

SAS

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 02:09 am
@dvsb1234,
The best way is to freeze them in a low temperatures: deep freeze. But you can use them in cooking only because they will be very soft after defrosting.
0 Replies