im really stressed and need some ADVICE PLEASE!

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 06:38 am
i am being told after not seeing my kids for some time to SIGN MY RIGHTS over... i am in no wrong in the situation other than not being around for some time! My ex-wife however is proved unfit at this time and will be made in court to sign over her rights to our children! how is it legal for them to demand me to sign my rights over without first GIVING ME oppurtunity to step in and care for my children? yes i do have a history of Some Drug Abuse... HOWEVER i have not had a HISTORY of Drug abuse WHILE CARING FOR MY CHILDREN! So would ME Signing UNDER DURESS Acually Help me in this matter?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,141 • Replies: 6
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 07:10 am
Then don't sign anything. . . . BUT be prepared to show exactly what you are going to do about these children because YOU and NOT the issue, here. The children are.

Have they been in foster care for a while? It sounds like there has been a history of events and steps that were tried, but both you and the mother are not able to take care of them.

Perhaps there is a family that would like to adopt them.

I know this is hard for you, but you must consider THEM and what is best for them.

You will always be their birth father. You can have a relationship with them - IF and WHEN you show that you are a safe, sober adult that can be a positive influence on them.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 07:18 am
@tedurham1975,
You don't specify how long "some time" is but if it has been more than a year without any contact it will be considered abandonment and you too can be declared unfit.

Don't sign, prove your a fit parents, and raise your kids or let someone who has proved their fitness raise them.
tedurham1975

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 07:39 am
@boomerang,
yes it has been almost 2 years and i just recently got informed of this action being taken just little over a month ago! yes i HAVE HAD problems in my past, BUT I AM A GOOD DAD, i can be found fit if they just give me MY chance to be there, and i did have Good Understanding that SHE the Mother WAS a GOOD mother... At one time she was, however the man she has married has been VERY abussive to her and our Kids! so i was not in the picture for that long only with the understanding She was Raising our kids Proper! I Dont know the full details of what went wrong YET but i do find that out TODAY! Wish Me Luck PLEASE! with the best INTEREST of Our Kids in mind FIRST! thanks!
boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 09:02 am
@tedurham1975,
I'll wish your kids luck but for you luck won't have anything to do with the court's decision. They won't look kindly on the fact that you haven't had contact with your children for two years. You'll need to show them that you are completely prepared right now to parent your kids and that you understand the impact that it will have on your children to be placed with you. Having people come and go from their lives is VERY difficult for children and it has lifelong consequences.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 09:07 am
@tedurham1975,
Frankly, I don't think your children deserve to be with you. To not have contact for two whole years, to not check on their situation and ensure they were okay is reprehensible. How can you say you'd be a fit father when you haven't bothered to see to their well-being and maintain a relationship with them for the last two years???

You don't say how old they are but if they're small, they probably won't even remember you. I hope you don't get them. Then maybe you'll get your **** together and work towards being able to provide them with a good home. The first part of that is beginning to care for them. They're not furniture, you know... they have needs and wants and feelings. Doesn't sound like you even realize that.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 09:00 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
You don't specify how long "some time" is but if it has been more than a year without any contact it will be considered abandonment and you too can be declared unfit.

"Abandonment" can be deemed after 6 months in Arizona.
0 Replies