What the World is Really Like

Socratescn

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 08:38 pm
@wayne,
If you think that an emotion helps more than it harms you, you can embrace the emotion; if you think that an emotion harms you more than it helps you, it may be better for you to uninstall the emotion.
wayne

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 08:57 pm
@Socratescn,
Emotions are not uninstallable, such attempts lead directly to serious mental illness.
It is, and always will be, our reactions to our emotions which end up doing us harm. Emotionally healthy persons do not "uninstall" their emotions, they face them honestly and deal with them.
Your self conversations contain no input but your own, thus they are extremely limited.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 05:50 pm
@Socratescn,
Socratescn wrote:

What do you want to express?
Fido: I don't know.
What is truth?
What criteria do you apply to evaluate if a statement is true?

Knowing must be very important to you... Being laconic obviously is not so important to you...Hey; words are cheap... Waste as many as you want till you run out of nothing to say...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 08:49 am
@Fido,
...hmm, wishful thinking I guess... I have a hunch he has an infinite supply of cheap ammunition to shoot around Fido !... Wink
Fido

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 09:24 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...hmm, wishful thinking I guess... I have a hunch he has an infinite supply of cheap ammunition to shoot around Fido !... Wink
Me too, and they too often misfire...
Socratescn

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 08:56 pm
@Fido,
Lijun’s personal message means me.
Why does it mean you?
I am that kind of person.
Why do you think that you are that type of person.
Because I am a person who thinks that I have the truth.
What do you mean by “I have the truth”?
I mean that I know the truth in many big things in life that may plague an ordinary person.
Is it wrong?
It may not be wrong. But it is not good to challenge someone whom you think is wrong.
The person, in most times, won’t admit that he is wrong, instead, he would hold resentment toward you.
Why won’t the person, in most times admit that he is wrong and instead he would hold resentment toward me?
But it is humiliating to admit that oneself is wrong. And he would think that you are the person who humiliates him.
I see. I understand.
0 Replies

Procrustes

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 06:16 am
@Socratescn,
Quote:

Just get up and go outside. You'll find out what the world is like once you drop any presupposed ideas you have about it. It's not easy but you may have your eyes opened up.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 10:07 am
@Procrustes,
What is the world REALLY like? might make a great koan (referring to another thread).
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 10:29 am
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:

Quote:

Just get up and go outside. You'll find out what the world is like once you drop any presupposed ideas you have about it. It's not easy but you may have your eyes opened up.
You know; that so much of what we experience as phenomena has nothing at all like it, and if there is nothing like it we cannot form an idea of what it is... It is a presupposition of our own awareness of our own energy applied to all of nature that brought gods into the minds of men, but that understanding of effect and cause led eventually to science... We need the presumptions as theory to be disproved before we can say what we know by what we know is not... We are always pasting our picture of the known over the top of the unknown to see what is out of place beyond, and this is what is occuring with astro physics, and without that method we would still be looking at the firmament as the result of power, and knowing little else...
Procrustes

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 08:44 pm
@Fido,
I understand where your coming from fido, but sometimes we need surprise to in order for a reality check... Sometimes.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 08:02 pm
Is there a significant difference between the questions "What is the world like?" and What is the world REALLY like?"
Procrustes

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 09:42 am
@JLNobody,
Not really...
JLNobody

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 07:20 pm
@Procrustes,
O.k., I just wanted to move things along.
Procrustes

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 08:09 pm
@JLNobody,
Is there a difference in saying "What is the world is like?" to "What is the world?"
JLNobody

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 10:16 pm
@Procrustes,
Not really Wink
Procrustes

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 07:26 am
@JLNobody,
Touche Laughing
Fido

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 06:22 am
@Procrustes,
We can conceive of nothing by itself... No one could conceive of the sun until they realized it was a star... We can conceive of dogs because we realize they are LIKE other dogs, and recognize dogs as dogs because they are like other dogs... The world as the world is beyond conception because it is the only one we have, and though we may imagine others based upon what we have, much as we imagine life beyond life, as life in heaven or hell, there is no other in reality so what we have is phenomenal...
Procrustes

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 06:37 am
@Fido,
I resonate with what your saying Fido. This world is precious and the only one we have ever known. It reminds me of the passion Carl Sagan had when he talked about the stars.
JLNobody

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 12:18 pm
@Procrustes,
Me too. THIS life (and no after life) is what really exists. That's one reason I like Nietzsche's rejection of all metaphysical other worlds, including Kant's thing-in-itself behind phenomena and the heaven and hell of other-worldly religions. I like Nisetzsche' and meditative-buddhism's this-worldly religiousity.
Procrustes

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2012 04:48 am
@JLNobody,
One day I'll get to reading Nietzsche. Which of his books would you recommend?
0 Replies