Windows ME can't get on internet...can connectt o ISP

pOOper-

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 09:47 am
"Windows ME "

How do I get it back into normal?
To make a long story short, I had IE6 problem on download.
Tried to un-install it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,254 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Monger

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 10:13 am
More info needed, dude. Don't make long stories short. Also, you'll need to type any error messages you're getting verbatim if you expect people to be able to give good advice about something like this while unable to see the machine.
Can you boot in Safe Mode? Are you trying to install ME from a CD you've used before that you know works (or an original copy)? Does "Can't get any icons in control panel so I can't add/remove programs" mean that you can at least get to the control panel although you can't see any icons there?--(that conflicts with where you said your OS is "stuck in DOS")

If you're not clear about what's going on there's a good chance you'll get a lot of irrelevant or incorrect advice.
0 Replies

pOOper-

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 10:55 am
Thanks .
In DOS when I open control panel,it opens but no icons are present.
I was trying to RE-install ME from original CD Rom
but it won't finish loading. I'll get the "message"
when it aborts when I try again but what Iwould like to do is in order of need:

* Get out of DOS
*Delete the original Windows ME(uninstall)
*Delete(uninstall IE 6(since that started all the trouble and load IE 5.5 which is uninstalled now)

And since IE 6 wont work I have no browser.
I don't expect wonders here....just somewhere to start would be nice.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 11:58 am
p00per* wrote:
* Get out of DOS
MS-DOS doesn't have a "Control Panel", but Windows does. However, since you're differentiating between "DOS" and Windows I'm not sure what you're referring to as DOS.
Quote:
*Delete the original Windows ME(uninstall)
Uninstalling Windows can't be done, unless WinME was installed on your PC as an upgrade to Windows 9x (and even then it might not be possible).
What you can do, however, is just format the hard drive, erasing everything on it.
Quote:
*Delete(uninstall IE 6(since that started all the trouble and load IE 5.5 which is uninstalled now)
You probably won't be able to do this. It depends on whether or not you archived your IE5.5 files when you installed version 6, but even if you did you're going to run into trouble.

I'd recommend doing a full reinstallation. Do you remember any more information about the "SU error" you mentioned? Is there physical damage to your CD, such as scratches? (That could be why the install CD wasn't working.)
0 Replies

Heat

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 02:19 pm
You can not uninstall IE6 without your system crashing nor will it allow you back in to fix it now. It is a quirk of windows and no matter what Dos command you give it will not allow you back into safe mode. When you went to add or remove and tried to remove this program it would of warned you of this. It is one of the few things that windows will not allow to be removed. Unfortunately MS does not make it widely known that you can not remove it.

You will have to reformat your computer. If you have a hard drive that is already partitioned and you can load an operating system on to that partition then use to go in and to move your data to the new drive before you reformat or you will lose all that is on your system. You can also import back all your addy's and emails using windows/applicationdata/identites.

When you do a clean install again I would recommend making a partition with a seperate operating system on it and making your system a dual boot on start up. That way if you crash one drive the other will still boot and you can always use that one to work on the other one through your files.
0 Replies

pOOper-

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 09:36 pm
Thanks.
I rebooted and got to safe mode with key f8, and into control panel.
That's no help though because I still can't finish loading IE6 so I have no browser and seems like I will have to reformat HD. I do have it partitioned so your suggestions in that regard are interesting. I have all my music on "D"
Thanks. I'll see what I can do.
I'm being told to get rid of Windows ME and to load XP when I reformat...any thoughts.
0 Replies

Heat

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 10:01 pm
Bonus is that you have your music on D. If you load another OS on that drive you will be able to save it and also to move any other files from C once you get in to that drive through the other OS and program files and save them and then only reformat C drive.

XP is a pig for resources and bloated if you can get a hold of a copy of pro it is a better overall OS. Less bloat and less bugs. I would also keep ME on the C drive as personally I like ME over XP. I personally do not care for XP so it would be my last choice also the down side of XP is that once you load it, it is almost impossible to get rid of if you ever choose to. To totally remove this OS system is a nightmare and you will not be able to format with anything older than it afterwards if you ever do crash again.

I personally always install for anyone who I deal with two OS on different drives with a dual boot so that in the event of a crash the options of retrieval are there and easy to do. Especially given that today many store not only music but photos that can not be replaced.

I would recommend that your first step would be to load an OS on D, move any files that you wish to keep from C to there and then do a reformat on C using ME.

You will find that even though you have come into safe mode now you will not have stability with this as by trying to remove IE it does effect registry files and unless you reinstall you will continue to crash. MS strikes again at their very best as they will not give you the registry files that you will need to overwrite the ones that are left and replace the ones that removing IE eliminated.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 10:53 pm
I've never heard of one person that didn't have problems with ME. It's a dog. Use anything but that.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 11:46 am
Windows ME stuck
I agree with Wilso. I had Windows 98 on my first computer and was very happy with it. Then when I got a new machine it came with ME and I hated it. Crash, freeze, trouble, trouble, trouble! So I installed XP Home and have very little trouble at all.

I am considering sometime switching to XP Pro, but no hurry about that. I have just installed a nice new ViewSonic flat panel display and am enjoying that, and trying to learn its ways. There will be time to think more seriously about Pro later.
0 Replies

pOOper-

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 11:59 am
OK thanks' y'all
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 01:33 pm
M.E. is the pits. I replaced it with win98#2 and that runs better.

I did get/downloaded a file "windows millenium edition cleanhd.txt file------------ this might help you solve the problem. It runs to 5 pages.
go to ---------------

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.micro
0 Replies

music2myear

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 11:29 am
Quote:
XP is a pig for resources and bloated if you can get a hold of a copy of pro it is a better overall OS. Less bloat and less bugs. I would also keep ME on the C drive as personally I like ME over XP. I personally do not care for XP so it would be my last choice also the down side of XP is that once you load it, it is almost impossible to get rid of if you ever choose to. To totally remove this OS system is a nightmare and you will not be able to format with anything older than it afterwards if you ever do crash again.

Ummm, yea...

If you're trying to do an "upgrade" install to an older OS after you've had XP, well, let's just say you're asking for issues. XP uses NTFS (and unless you're using a single partition, dual boot system, you should allow it to format your drive NTFS) and the only other desktop OS which uses NTFS is the other NT OSes (Windows NT and 2000). If you try and install ME or 98 it's no-go-joe.

Also, when you change OSes, downgrade or upgrade, you should always to a hard format. Backup your files and run a hard format (as opposed to a quick format), then install your OS and transfer your files back. You have to reinstall all your programs anyways, so it does not make sense NOT to format and do a clean install.

As far as bloating, I first install XP running 64MB of RAM, which is not enough, but it ran, and it ran well. XP handles itself quite low on lean resources, and it is easy to configure it to use less. More than likely if XP is sluggish either loading or running, use a freeware tool such as <a href="http://www.safer-networking.org">Spybot - Search & Destroy</a> and clean out all the programs that are starting without you needing them to start. Programs like Quicktime, Real Player, and video driver helpers are not necessary and can greatly dimish your system's performance.

Crashing is another thing that XP doesn't do (as often as other OSes including Mac OS9 and earlier, I've not had enough time on OSX to compare it). When programs crash on XP, the three-fingered-salute is so much more powerful and stable. You rarely encounter a crash you cannot recover from, and even without rebooting.

I heartily recomment XP Pro over ANY windows OS (if you don't play games Windows 2000 Pro works just as well, but it costs the same, so why bother) and most Mac OSes (not enought experience on GUI Linux distros to compare them yet).

And I definately agree with OldAndKnew, if you don't have access to XP but you have a copy of Win98SE (second edition) copy all your transferable files to a secondary HD (or backup to CD or whater) reformat your WinME partition and install the Win98SE. ME was pulled out of thin air when MS decided they didn't have enough time to make 2000 a good "user" OS to replace the 9x line. ME has decreased functionality and stability compared to 98SE (this opinion comes from several years experience in a variety of situations and jobs). ME is not worth the hassle, some people do not have any problem with it, just as good cars sometimes come off lemon lines. But the vast majority of the world has forsaken ME. And with support for 98 extended for another 2-1/2 years, you should be good to go long enough to save up for XP Pro (or Longhorn when it comes out).
0 Replies

pOOper-

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 09:57 am
My PC is seemingly functioning as I can connect with ISP,print,play on media player and on burner etc. (but it won't burn the music)
]after un-installing ME and reinstalling ME.
I can't connect to the internet though and get notification that :
"This Page Cannot be Displayed"
....etc. you may need to adjust your browser settings.
But they are set as I see the same as b4. and appear correct.
I still feel my browser is the problem,but I reinstalled IE 5.5 and it seemed to install ok.
I'm sorta going a little nuts and don't want to switch to XP and lose what I have. really I don't even know whether to try installing XP upgrade,
and if it will install correctly or if I'd need XP pro which I have no need of. I'd begrudge the extra $100 bucks.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 10:37 am
Upgrading shouldn't make you lose anything (unless of course it goes wrong or is done incorrectly, which is a possibility).

You don't need XP Pro, Home will do just fine.

But XP is a world and a half better than any other OS out there. It's worth the upgrade.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:29 am
AT the very least; switch to Windows 2000. ME is a nightmare. I had it on a business computer once and the techs told me MS won't even support it any more. Good Luck.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:41 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
AT the very least; switch to Windows 2000. ME is a nightmare. I had it on a business computer once and the techs told me MS won't even support it any more. Good Luck.
Support for Windows Millennium Edition was said to end Dec. 31, 2004.
Recentyl Microsoft announced, to extent this until June 30, 2006.
0 Replies

pOOper-

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 12:57 pm
Can I install XP upgrade home edition on top of ME or do I uninstall ME first?
Right now I can connectto my ISP,but not to internet,probably browser problem? (IE 5.5)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 12:59 pm
pOOper* wrote:
Can I install XP upgrade home edition on top of ME

Yes.

Quote:

Right now I can connectto my ISP,but not to internet,probably browser problem? (IE 5.5)

How so? If you are connected to your ISP you are connected to the net.

Maybe your browser is working offline.

Go to "File" and then make sure "Work Offline" is not checked.
0 Replies

pOOper-

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:13 pm
Well this is what I mean. It dials up,
the ISP icon connects-flashes. When clicked on it says its connected,the phone sounds connected,
I click on a site and a message comes up as follows:

"This page cannot be displayed,
The page you are ...... etc. then 'or you may need to adjust your browser settings."

When I check them, they check with what I understand them to be but I can't get my browser to open anything.
Does that make sense?
0 Replies