Breaking Contract

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 08:15 am
I have been on this assignment for only 1 week as an OR nurse. During this week, we have had patients treated badly, very badly. Without going into detail, I would just say this hospital is going to end up in some serious lawsuits by patients and their families. My recruiter is like the rest of them, not worried, just wants me to stick it out. I feel as though my license is on the line here and since I am just a traveler here, I feel as though there is no one to back me up here or at my travel company. I want out of this contract. What do I do to make my travel company understand the safety issues here and me not wanting to be involved with such bad treatments of patients without having to risk the travel company keeping my pay, sticking me with the housing bills, etc. I feel my license is more important but my career and work history is important also. Any ideas? I feel trapped!!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,624 • Replies: 2
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 09:43 am
What does "traveler" mean here?

Temporary?

You've only been there one week. Request a transfer. Say it's a bad fit for you.

Don't badmouth the hospital. Just ask for another assignment.

PS - you can always write a letter to the head of the hospital later, after you have gone.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 10:00 am
@Traveler4yrs,
Are you in the US? If so, I might call my state board (the state where you are licensed) and ask them their advice. I'm not a nurse but was a state licensed lab technologist years ago. I don't know if lab techs "travel" like nurses do, but if so, I can imagine being in a similar situation as you describe.

I did own a house in my last home town across the street from a small apartment building that rented/leased to traveling nurses. Their usual stay was six months - my point being, six months is a long time to deal with this kind of situation. Good luck.

Adds - I probably wouldn't name the hospital at this point.
0 Replies