Is hope a bad thing?

Procrustes

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 05:09 pm
@boomerang,
But like anything in this world, everything can seemingly have more than one nature. I agree with Pemerson's thoughts of a 'generalised' expectant, 'feeling' of hope which doesn't necessarily mean the 'use' of the word. The feelings behind an utterance are really what matters. How anyone decides which context they may use those words is anybody's guess, but feelings of empathy and amity for fellow humans is not what I would call hopeless.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 04:34 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

But hope isn't always sunshine and unicorns. "I hope you're happy" is often used to express displeasure with someone or something and "I hope s/he rots in Hell" is probably one of the more common "hopes".

Yeah, Boomer, but they say it with feeling, whether to say I hope you're happy or I hope s/he rots in hell. Thoughts are things, people really do feel their impact, whether or not anything is said.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 01:40 pm
I tend to agree with Mame. I said in another more recent thread:
Sometimes hope may prolong suffering, and sometimes giving up hope puts an end to that which we add to our suffering. Remember, when, in Greek mythology Pandora opened her box letting all the blessings (and in another version, evils) to escape but hope. Was that the Gods' effort to prolong man's suffering?
0 Replies

Juston20

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 11:01 pm
@Procrustes,
Hopefulness and expectations go hand and hand.. That faith is what you need after your expectaions or desires.. Faith means it already done versus hope which you desire it to be done.
snood

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 11:28 pm
@Juston20,
Well, Juston20, I understand what you have said. But just imagine how utterly meaningless and empty such a word as faith is to people who disparage hope as the wasted energy of a sluggard.
0 Replies