Another question about the BIBLE and SLAVERY!

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 08:13 am
If there is a GOD -- and if the god of the Bible actually is GOD -- why do you suppose GOD considers trafficking in slaves and slavery itself to be okay -- to be ethical and moral?

"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess...such slaves
you may own as chattels, and leave to your sons as their
hereditary property, making them perpetual slaves." Leviticus 25:44ff
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 970 • Replies: 7
No top replies

husker

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 08:59 am
Maybe you can dig something out of this link
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 09:06 am

Thanks, Husker.

I hope some of the people who come to this thread read that (rather lengthy) essay -- and cull items from it to bring here.

We can discuss it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 09:25 am
Hmm - am I reading correctly? As I read the essay so far

"`If one of your countrymen becomes poor among you and sells himself to you, do not make him work as a slave. 40 He is to be treated as a hired worker or a temporary resident among you; he is to work for you until the Year of Jubilee. 41 Then he and his children are to be released, and he will go back to his own clan and to the property of his forefathers. 42 Because the Israelites are my servants, whom I brought out of Egypt, they must not be sold as slaves. 43 Do not rule over them ruthlessly, but fear your God. (Lev 25.35-43)"

all this 'good slavery" - or slavery that was not slavery stuff refers only to fellow Israelites?
Ie - non-Israelites could be enslaved without all these protections?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 09:44 am
dlowan wrote:
Hmm - am I reading correctly? As I read the essay so far

"`If one of your countrymen becomes poor among you and sells himself to you, do not make him work as a slave. 40 He is to be treated as a hired worker or a temporary resident among you; he is to work for you until the Year of Jubilee. 41 Then he and his children are to be released, and he will go back to his own clan and to the property of his forefathers. 42 Because the Israelites are my servants, whom I brought out of Egypt, they must not be sold as slaves. 43 Do not rule over them ruthlessly, but fear your God. (Lev 25.35-43)"

all this 'good slavery" - or slavery that was not slavery stuff refers only to fellow Israelites?
Ie - non-Israelites could be enslaved without all these protections?

Absolutely! The 7 year stuff -- and the Jubilee stuff applied only to fellow Hebrews.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 09:49 am
And - I answer my own question - yes, it seems that all these commandments about slavery being neither permanent, unprofitable nor brutal refer only to Israelites - that the god of Israel makes no such commandments about non-Israelites.

Were I to take this god seriously, I would find no reason acceptable to my morality for its attitude to slavery.

I do find the attitude of the deity that, I believe, the Israelites created for themselves (though it seems clear they did not obey their deity's laws) very enlightened, for the time, in relation to slavery of fellow Israelites.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 10:20 am
dlowan wrote:
And - I answer my own question - yes, it seems that all these commandments about slavery being neither permanent, unprofitable nor brutal refer only to Israelites - that the god of Israel makes no such commandments about non-Israelites.

Were I to take this god seriously, I would find no reason acceptable to my morality for its attitude to slavery.

I do find the attitude of the deity that, I believe, the Israelites created for themselves (though it seems clear they did not obey their deity's laws) very enlightened, for the time, in relation to slavery of fellow Israelites.

I don't get the chance to mention this often enough -- so let me jump at this opportunity:

The entire of the theological mythology -- or what I personally see as a "theological mythology" was, in my opinion, VERY, VERY enlightened for the people and time.

I think none of us should begrude the ancient Hebrews that.

Fact is, they needed a specific kind of god to protect themselves from the very specific gods of their "enemies" -- and they needed the force of a god to emphasize the need for rules and regulations necessary for an orderly society.

With that said, however, I do not extend those considerations to present day humans who still think this stuff holds water.

But of course, that is just my opinion.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 02:42 pm
Yes - it was interesting to read that essay - I have certainly been exposed to large sections of the old testament, and read the new testament for myself anyway - but looking at the laws in that much detail was very enlightening.

I know there are others that are far less "enlightened" seeming (to our eyes) - but still....
0 Replies