Best Lawyer Story Of The Year

au1929

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 07:22 am
Best Lawyer Story Of The Year

This is the best lawyer story of the year, decade, and probably the century. A Charlotte, NC, lawyer purchased a box of very rare and expensive cigars, then insured them against fire among other things.

Within a month having smoked his entire stockpile of these great cigars and without yet having made even his first premium payment on the policy, the lawyer filed a claim
against the insurance company. In his claim, the lawyer stated the cigars were lost "in a series of small fires."

The insurance company refused to pay, citing the obvious reason: that the man had consumed the cigars in the normal fashion. The lawyer sued ... and won!

In delivering the ruling, the judge agreed with the insurance company that the claim was frivolous. The Judge stated, nevertheless, that the lawyer held a policy from the company in which it had warranted that the cigars were insurable and also guaranteed that it would insure them against fire,
without defining what is considered to be unacceptable fire, and was obligated to pay the claim. Rather than endure lengthy and costly appeal process, the insurance company accepted the ruling and paid $15,000 to the lawyer for his loss of the rare cigars lost in the "fires."

NOW FOR THE BEST PART ... After the lawyer cashed the check, the insurance company had him arrested on 24 counts of ARSON!!!! With his own insurance claim and testimony from the previous case being used against him, the lawyer was convicted of intentionally burning his insured property and
was sentenced to 24 months in jail and a $24,000 fine.

This is a true story and was the 1st place winner in the recent Criminal Lawyers Award Contest.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,870 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 07:34 am
Fantastic story, au. You can't out fox those insurance lawyers.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 07:47 am
Sorry Au, but the story shows up at the Urban Legend sites.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 07:49 am
LOL! True or not, that's a riot!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 07:53 am
Quote:
Sorry Au, but the story shows up at the Urban Legend sites.

I was going to mention that fact, Frank, but I guess I'm not as mean as you are.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 07:58 am
Gus, is it an urban legend that you raise giant rats with yellow fangs?

I found out recently that Frank is Italian, now I'm considering checking that urban legend sight out.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 08:03 am
Letty wrote:

Letty, dear, that's a rural legend.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 08:04 am
Quote:

Go to any urban legend site and you'll find no mention of untruths concerning Mr. Ratzenhofer and his menagerie.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 08:05 am
Or rural legends sites, if you want to get picky.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 08:15 am
will-o-the-wisp, methane, and mammoth rats. I think we ought to start our own swamp stories; urban legends; rural riots, Gus and Seal.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 08:42 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=532135#532135
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 09:08 am
Even if this bogus tale were not listed on various urban legend sites, its implausibility is manifest on its face. No fire insurance policy will pay off when the insured is responsible for the loss. Not ever. NEVER.

So don't try this at home, kiddies. Any fires that you start yourself, you'll be footing the bill yourself.
0 Replies

bocdaver

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 08:32 pm
Lawyer Jokes?

The best one I ever heard was the story about the man who walks into a tavern to find a gorgeous lady sitting at the bar. He sits next to her and asks her if he can buy her a drink. She faces him and says:

I'll screw anyone anytime anywhere and have no regrets later.

The man says:

"Wow! What law firm do you work for????
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 10:03 pm
Okay, devil takes a meeting with this young lawyer.

Devil says, "I'll make you a senior partner. Right now. Today." Young lawyer says, "What do I have to do?" Devil says, "I want your immortal soul. <pause> And also, the immortal souls of everyone in your family." The young lawyer stops and thinks, and he eyes the devil something fierce. Then the lawyer says, "What's the catch?"
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 10:30 pm
I couldn't have been any more than maybe 10 or 11 years old the first time I heard that cigar story. My father used to tell it, never pretending that the story was anything but a joke. (I'm 65 now.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 08:38 am
There are actually less than seven genuine lawyer jokes. The rest of what you hear are more or less humorous renditions of events in the lives of former clients.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 02:03 pm
I also like this one ...

An attorney, cross-examining the local coroner, queried, "Before you signed the death certificate had you taken the man's pulse?"

"No," the coroner replied.

"Well, then, did you listen for a heart beat?"

The coroner answered, "No."

"Did you check for respiration? Breathing?", asked the attorney.

Again the coroner replied, "No."

"Ah," the attorney said, "So when you signed the death certificate you had not taken any steps to make sure the man was dead, had you?"

The coroner rolled his eyes, and shot back "Counselor, at the time I signed the death certificate the man's brain was sitting in a jar on my desk. But I can see your point. For all I know he could be out there practicing law somewhere."
0 Replies