PROTECTING ONE'S SOURCES

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 07:14 pm
The following is the blurb from NPR's web site, about a story which caught my ear this evening as i was winding up at work:

NPR's All Things Considered wrote:
Nuclear scientist Wen Ho Lee is suing his former bosses in the federal government over information about him that was leaked to the press. He has subpoenaed journalists who received the leaks, demanding that they reveal their confidential sources. Those journalists are defying the orders. NPR's Jackie Northam reports.

And here's a link to their audio file of the piece as it was broadcast:

Jackie Northam reports

(This links you to a page with the audio report link at the top, and you can download a player to hear the piece if you need to do so.)

What are your thoughts on this topic? What boundaries, if any, should reporters and editors be able to enforce for the protection of their sources?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,228 • Replies: 13
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 07:48 pm
Dang, the audio is only available in RealPlayer or Windows Media Player 9. Sad

OK, so without actually hearing the story I'll just say that IMO there should be very very few circumstances where a reporter or paper should have to give up their sources.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 08:11 pm
Couldn't listen in either.

If the information from the source reveals guilty knowledge of a crime, the source cannot be protected.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:17 pm
I'll try to find a more complete exposition somewhere else, but you know, you can download the media players at that site--or so they contend at any event.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 10:47 pm
There was a landmark ruling in Canada today, in which a judge essentially acknowledged for the first time that journalists have a right to refuse to give up thier sources, even in a court of law. The judges reasoning, as I understand it, is that journalists perform the important job of critiquing our society. In a world where sources were open to exposure, a journalists ability to critique society would be substantially hampered.

Dammit, can't find a good link.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 11:58 pm
Hey! Maybe the CIA could learn something from a Canadian judge.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 12:30 pm
Alright, alright . . . here's an article from the Washington Post:

5 Journalists Won't Name Sources[/color]

I've been trying to find the opinion by the Supremes cited in the radio broadcast which i'd heard, but with no luck so far. I'll post this, and then go try to find the Supremes' decision.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 12:45 pm
Here's a link (if it works) to the opinion in Branzburg v. Hayes, 1972. The drift of the report i heard on the radio, is that the Supremes have never issued a definitive ruling, and that the rights of journalistic confidentiality are generally defined in statutes in the various states, or the precedential rulings in various states.

Branzburg v. Hayes[/color]
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 12:47 pm
I would think "New York Times Co. v. United States" (i.e. the "Pentagon Papers" case) would be the prevailing ruling over something like this but maybe Bantam Books Inc. v. Sullivan or Near v. Minnesota apply too..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 12:56 pm
I may well be wrong in this Fishin', but i believe that it was Branzburg to which they referred in the report. All of the case law is interesting to me, and i would like to know if the statement made that the Supremes have tended to side-step the issue is valid.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 01:16 pm
The Pentagon Papers case and the others I mentioned all dealt with "prior restraint". The Branzburg case you gave a link to deals more specifically with Grand Jury testimony after something has been published. I'd never read it before but it is interesting.

In a lot of ways, yeah, I'd say they did side-step things. In the end they basically said that somtimes a reporter can be made to reveal their sources but they didn't give a clear cut line for when those "sometimes" are.

From what I gathered it looks like they were saying that if the reporter had 1st hand knowledge of a crime that couldn't be found anywhere else they could be compelled to testify about their knowledge of the crime to a Grand Jury.

I'll have to reread it again though because the application here would be in a civil lawsuit - not a criminal investigation. I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe that the USSC ever intended their ruling to apply to non-criminal investigations.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 01:20 pm
That was precisely the distinction the commentator was making in the radio piece, Boss--that the earlier decision referred to a criminal case. As i was surfing through the Supreme's opinions, i noted that very often both the Supremes and Circuit benches rejected various claims because the information was putatively available from other sources.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 01:22 pm
Man, mebbe I should go fer one of dem radio jobs eh? Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 01:24 pm
Can't be that hard . . .
0 Replies