Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

spendius

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 09:52 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Nonsense.

The ownership part of "slavery back then" shoots so many holes in this line of attack...a tank division could go through it without a scratch.

It was stupid!

MYOEP.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 10:07 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Nonsense.

The ownership part of "slavery back then" shoots so many holes in this line of attack...a tank division could go through it without a scratch.

It was stupid!

MYOEP.

Boooorrrrriinnnnggggg.

Someone help Spendius come up with something original.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 10:08 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Another basic reality... Slavery in Jesus' time really was just what the lower half of the species did for a living (as opposed to voting for demoKKKrats in our own age). The kind of EVIL slavery which we think in terms of is a slammite invention; it didn't exist in Jesus' time. Jesus almost certainly would have spoken against slammite slave practices and the European slave trade which developed for the purpose of exploiting the New World.

For that matter, Jesus did in fact speak of Mohammed and others like him:

Mathew 7:15

Quote:
15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

The kind of slavery which we think in terms of is covered in the term "evil fruits"...

Get the train back on the tracks, Gunga. I will reply at that point.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 10:09 am
@spendius,
Quote:
MYOEP.

WABOHS, IYKWIM, WNJWTFTO
gungasnake

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 10:39 am
Basic history of the thing.....

• East/West trade routes lie dead for a thousand years.
  • Mongols re-open Europe-to-China trade routes (mid 1200s).
  • Europeans get used to spices, silk, porcelain, gunpowder etc.
  • Tamerlane wipes Sarai and the Golden Horde, Southern Russia turned into wasteland.
  • Turks demolish anything left of trade route (mid 1400s)
  • Europeans refuse to go back to eating meat with just salt on it, start sailing around Africa.
  • European ships put into West African ports for water, provisions.
  • West Aricans, thinking the Europeans to be just more slammites interested in slaves, roll out the slave markets.
  • Great era of European slave trade begins.

BillRM

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 10:56 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
•European ships put into West African ports for water, provisions.

•West Aricans, thinking the Europeans to be just more slammites interested in slaves, roll out the slave markets.

LOL................
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 11:51 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
WABOHS, IYKWIM, WNJWTFTO

Okay.

Quote:
Nonsense.

It was stupid!

That's marking your own exam paper. How can anybody say anything original about the same logical error being repeated endlessly? I only invented the acronym because of how predictable and repetitive your silly, child-like, error is.

I imagine than most slaves back then would have preferred being owned than being disowned. In your usual style you offer no alternative and thus compare something, the slavery to which you refer so gratuitously, with nothing, no alternative in the circumstances, and finding a fault with the something is then very easy especially if it is in the service of proving that your pantsdown performances were respectable and conducive to the common weal.

And placing iron age slavery in the same sentence as tank divisions is a solecism of the highest order. Except in sentences like that one.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 12:01 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
WABOHS, IYKWIM, WNJWTFTO

Okay.

Quote:
Nonsense.

It was stupid!

That's marking your own exam paper. How can anybody say anything original about the same logical error being repeated endlessly? I only invented the acronym because of how predictable and repetitive your silly, child-like, error is.

I imagine than most slaves back then would have preferred being owned than being disowned. In your usual style you offer no alternative and thus compare something, the slavery to which you refer so gratuitously, with nothing, no alternative in the circumstances, and finding a fault with the something is then very easy especially if it is in the service of proving that your pantsdown performances were respectable and conducive to the common weal.

And placing iron age slavery in the same sentence as tank divisions is a solecism of the highest order. Except in sentences like that one.

No!
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 08:01 am
A better understanding of bible slavery. Shocked

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 01:59 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

A better understanding of bible slavery. Shocked

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MFmC6BD1B4[/youtube]

I'm not about to watch this video, RL...but if you want to tell me why Bible slavery was different...be prepared to explain why the Hebrews were so anxious to get of slavery...and considered being lead out of slavery to be such a monumental thing.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 03:18 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I'm not about to watch this video, RL

That is cool Frank and I would not expect others to watch a video that you may have made yourself. Cool Cool

Quote:
if you want to tell me why Bible slavery was different...be prepared to explain why the Hebrews were so anxious to get of slavery...and considered being lead out of slavery to be such a monumental thing.

Quote:
explain why the Hebrews were so anxious to get of slavery.

I do not understand, "what do you think Hebrews were so anxious to get of slavery? I would not have thought that they seen value in it but I am all ears to what you have to share.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 03:28 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
I'm not about to watch this video, RL

That is cool Frank and I would not expect others to watch a video that you may have made yourself. Cool Cool

Quote:
if you want to tell me why Bible slavery was different...be prepared to explain why the Hebrews were so anxious to get of slavery...and considered being lead out of slavery to be such a monumental thing.

Quote:
explain why the Hebrews were so anxious to get of slavery.

I do not understand, "what do you think Hebrews were so anxious to get of slavery? I would not have thought that they seen value in it but I am all ears to what you have to share.

I'm not interested in how big you ears are, RL. I left the word "out" out.

Quote:
"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess, provided you BUY them from among the neighboring nations. You may also BUY them from among the aliens who reside with you and from their children who are born and reared in your land. Such slaves YOU MAY OWN AS CHATTELS, and leave to your sons as their hereditary property, MAKING THEM PERPETUAL SLAVES. But you shall not lord it harshly over any of the Israelites, your kinsmen." Leviticus 25:44ff

These supposedly were the words of the god of the Hebrews...delivered to them during their trek from slavery in Egypt.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 03:32 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Quote:

"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess, provided you BUY them from among the neighboring nations. You may also BUY them from among the aliens who reside with you and from their children who are born and reared in your land. Such slaves YOU MAY OWN AS CHATTELS, and leave to your sons as their hereditary property, MAKING THEM PERPETUAL SLAVES. But you shall not lord it harshly over any of the Israelites, your kinsmen." Leviticus 25:44ff

These supposedly were the words of the god of the Hebrews...delivered to them during their trek from slavery in Egypt.

Well of course Frank and that video talks about those things and many more in less time than it takes to play 3 hole in golf, "so what is your point? Rolling Eyes
spendius

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 03:34 pm
@reasoning logic,
He has no point.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 03:50 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
He has no point.

Surly you could have found a more tactful way of sharing what you think to be truth couldn't you?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 03:57 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
He has no point.

Do you think that Frank's problem could be that he speaks out of context at times?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 04:02 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Well of course Frank and that video talks about those things and many more in less time than it takes to play 3 hole in golf, "so what is your point? Rolling Eyes

My point is that I cannot answer anything said in the video. If you think there is anything worth sharing in the video...share it. Then I can answer or respond to you.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 04:32 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
My point is that I cannot answer anything said in the video. If you think there is anything worth sharing in the video...share it. Then I can answer or respond to you.

I did share it Frank, "I shared the whole ten minute video with you.
I was not meaning to waist your time but rather share a video with others that is shorter than a game of golf that is less than three holes long.

Don't worry about it Frank because you would find it as boring as playing three holes of golf. Rolling Eyes
spendius

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 04:48 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Do you think that Frank's problem could be that he speaks out of context at times?

Not at all. He never speaks out of context. I don't think he knows how to.

You need to understand the context rl.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 05:35 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I did share it Frank, "I shared the whole ten minute video with you.
I was not meaning to waist your time but rather share a video with others that is shorter than a game of golf that is less than three holes long.

Don't worry about it Frank because you would find it as boring as playing three holes of golf.

I don't think you understand RL...no one is making any harsh claims about the videos you link...or claiming that they are not worthwhile...others are asking you to explain what you personally find worthy, so that they can discuss your positions with you...and exp;lain theirs...and are willing to engage you, and the videos you post...they can not have a discussion with anything that anyone in those video claims, because the individuals in the videos are not physically present...So no one can explain how they agree or disagree with someone that is not presently here, simply in a video feed...but only your interpretation of the video itself...as well as their own...