Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 11:32 am
@Frank Apisa,

Frank Apisa wrote:
Why did Jesus NOT condemn slavery?
How can u POSSIBLY know that he did not?
Do u think that everything that he ever said
found its way into writing however many years later than he said it?

David
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 12:17 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5133116)

Frank Apisa wrote:
Why did Jesus NOT condemn slavery?

That has already been answered several times in this thread, David.

I do NOT know that he never condemned slavery. I do not even know that a single person existed that was Jesus.

But it was never reported that he did. If the question seems better asked: "Why do you suppose it was never reported that Jesus condemned slavery?"or "Why do you suppose the people who invented Jesus did not condemn slavery?"...then conceive of it that way.

In any case, no matter how asked, my supposition still seems to hold. The god all these people worshiped told them specifically there was nothing wrong with slavery. So that, most likely, is the reason none of them ever condemned it...or that is, most likely, the reason it is not reported that any of them ever condemned slavery.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 01:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

"This is the disciple who testifies of these things, and wrote these things; and we know that his testimony is true. And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. Amen."

John. Chap. 21 verses 24 and 25.

There is a perfectly good political reason why those who reported on Jesus never specifically condemned slavery as an institution. A necessary political reason.

Just as US politicians don't condemn various practices of their middle-eastern allies.

Realpolitik. Only those with an obsession with discrediting the Church are blind to the obvious reason.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 01:53 pm
@spendius,
@David...in Spendius' post.

Quote:
Only those with an obsession with discrediting the Church are blind to the obvious reason.

David, you also gotta wonder why the god of the Bible...the god Jesus and all those writers worshiped...DID NOT condemn slavery. After all, the god was speaking to these people while they were in the desert having just escaped captivity as slaves themselves.

Why do you suppose the god of the Bible never condemned slavery...and actually went out of its way to say it was permissible... that there was nothing wrong or immoral about it?

In fact, you gotta wonder why the god bothered to rescue its people from slavery...since there was nothing wrong with it.

Spendius, since you obviously are reading what I write...why not stop the charade and respond to this also.
spendius

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 02:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Go read some books.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 03:08 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Go read some books.

Actually, I've been reading the Bible. Old Testament, naturally. It's a bitch.

You've read it, haven't you?
spendius

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 03:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Sure have. A lot of it more than once. It's the most wonderful book in the world by a long distance.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 03:35 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Sure have. A lot of it more than once.

Yup, I've read lots of it many times over.

My guess: It tells us nothing about whether there are gods or not...and if there are, it tells us nothing about what the gods are like...what pleases or offends them.

I am guessing that you are guessing otherwise.

Quote:
It's the most wonderful book in the world by a long distance.

Ummm...actually, I liked James Clavell's Shogun much more. Have you read that one?
spendius

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 05:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I didn't say I liked the Bible. I like cakes. And ale. And voluptuous women. Soft beds. No work.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 05:11 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I didn't say I liked the Bible. I like cakes. And ale. And voluptuous women. Soft beds. No work.

Damn, we are a lot alike in these areas! Wink
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 05:22 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Damn, we are a lot alike in these areas!

Almost twins.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 04:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Why do you suppose the god of the Bible never condemned slavery...and actually went out of its way to say it was permissible... that there was nothing wrong or immoral about it?

I could be wrong but logic tells me that God had many slaves and it would have been harder for a God to give up his slaves than it would be for a camel to walk through the eye of a needle.

Just think about it. If hundreds of thousands of people believed that you were a God or a messenger from God would you want to let go of this power trip?
spendius

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 05:07 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
If hundreds of thousands of people believed that you were a God or a messenger from God would you want to let go of this power trip?

I wouldn't. I would milk it until the udders ran dry.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 05:21 pm
@spendius,
You finally said something people can believe in. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 06:56 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I could be wrong but logic tells me that God had many slaves and it would have been harder for a God to give up his slaves than it would be for a camel to walk through the eye of a needle.

Just think about it. If hundreds of thousands of people believed that you were a God or a messenger from God would you want to let go of this power trip?

The god had just created the 200 billion plus suns in our galaxy...and the billions of galaxies that we know of...and had spread them through space so vast it takes light billions of years to traverse it.

The god probably had no slaves, RL. The god didn't need them.

But it is something to think about.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 06:57 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I wouldn't.

Yup.

Quote:
I would milk it until the udders ran dry.

Most would.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 07:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
The god had just created the 200 billion plus suns in our galaxy...and the billions of galaxies that we know of...and had spread them through space so vast it takes light billions of years to traverse it.

Come on Frank you have no evidence for any this so why are you making this claim?

I am not claiming that there is no God nor would I claim that there is not a Easter bunny in reality. But I would seriously doubt the both but I suspect that they are equal.

All that we have are the bibles or legends at hand and none of them seem creditable to me.

If all that we have is what is in front of us, why would you think that those who wrote these things did not have slaves? You do realize that we came from pastoral or herding societies?

I do think that what we call our God of the old testament had slaves and I would like to know why you would think otherwise.
tenderfoot

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 08:26 pm
@reasoning logic,
Logical assumption comes to mind.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 03:26 am
@reasoning logic,
RL, you quoted me saying:

You then wrote:

Quote:

Come on Frank you have no evidence for any this so why are you making this claim?

You really ought to look up the words "humor" and "joking" in a dictionary, RL.

What on Earth would make you think I am making this claim in seriousness?

Quote:
All that we have are the bibles or legends at hand and none of them seem creditable to me.

Okay. I am always interested in what seem "creditable" to you. But since you are so alert and perceptive, I would have suspected you would realize that I am calling into question the notions about gods and what offend and delight gods offered in the Bible.

Quote:
I am not claiming that there is no God nor would I claim that there is not a Easter bunny in reality. But I would seriously doubt the both but I suspect that they are equal.

I also am interested in what you suspect about various things, RL. I am, I might mention, a bit concerned with your preoccupation with the Easter Bunny, though.

Quote:
If all that we have is what is in front of us, why would you think that those who wrote these things did not have slaves? You do realize that we came from pastoral or herding societies?

And where did I say that anyone except the god that supposedly made the entire universe did not have slaves?

Quote:
I do think that what we call our God of the old testament had slaves and I would like to know why you would think otherwise.

RL, I truly am sorry you think "what we call our God" of the Old Testament had slaves...and that you think that to be a reasonable guess, but I will defend to the death your right to think it.
spendius

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 04:02 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
but I will defend to the death your right to think it.

People should read the Bible in a similar manner that they read that.