Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 05:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
RL, I truly am sorry you think "what we call our God" of the Old Testament had slaves...and that you think that to be a reasonable guess, but I will defend to the death your right to think it.

I think that all the Gods of the past may have had slaves. When people have beliefs they can be easily manipulated. These believers are slaves to their own beliefs and the people feeding them the lies that they believe are their "Gods".

You do not need chains and shackles when people believe that they should bring gifts and lay them at the alter.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 06:05 am
@spendius,
Quote:
If Democritus were alive now, and should but see the superstition of our age, our religious madness, as Meteran calls it, Religiosam insaniam, so many professed Christians, yet so few imitators of Christ; so much talk of religion, so much science, so little conscience; so much knowledge, so many preachers, so little practice; such variety of sects, such have and hold of all sides, —obvia signis Signa, &c., such absurd and ridiculous traditions and ceremonies: If he should meet a Capuchin, a Franciscan, a Pharisaical Jesuit, a man-serpent, a shave-crowned Monk in his robes, a begging Friar, or, see their three-crowned Sovereign Lord the Pope, poor Peter's successor, servus servorum Dei, to depose kings with his foot, to tread on emperors' necks, make them stand barefoot and barelegged at his gates, hold his bridle and stirrup, &c. (O that Peter and Paul were alive to see this!) If he should observe a prince creep so devoutly to kiss his toe, and those red-cap cardinals, poor parish priests of old, now princes' companions; what would he say? Coelum ipsum petitur stultitia. Had he met some of our devout pilgrims going barefoot to Jerusalem, our lady of Lauretto, Rome, S. Iago, S. Thomas' Shrine, to creep to those counterfeit and maggot-eaten relics; had he been present at a mass, and seen such kissing of paxes, crucifixes, cringes, duckings, their several attires and ceremonies, pictures of saints, indulgences, pardons, vigils, fasting, feasts, crossing, knocking, kneeling at Ave-Marias, bells, with many such; —jucunda rudi spectacula plebi, praying in gibberish, and mumbling of beads. Had he heard an old woman say her prayers in Latin, their sprinkling of holy water, and going a procession,
———incedunt monachorum agmina mille;
Quid momerem vexilla, cruces, idolaque culta, &c.

Their breviaries, bulls, hallowed beans, exorcisms, pictures, curious crosses, fables, and baubles. Had he read the Golden Legend, the Turks' Alcoran, or Jews' Talmud, the Rabbins' Comments, what would he have thought? How dost thou think he might have been affected? Had he more particularly examined a Jesuit's life amongst the rest, he should have seen an hypocrite profess poverty, and yet possess more goods and lands than many princes, to have infinite treasures and revenues; teach others to fast, and play the gluttons themselves; like watermen that row one way and look another. Vow virginity, talk of holiness, and yet indeed a notorious bawd, and famous fornicator, lascivum pecus, a very goat. Monks by profession, such as give over the world, and the vanities of it, and yet a Machiavellian rout interested in all manner of state: holy men, peace-makers, and yet composed of envy, lust, ambition, hatred, and malice; firebrands, adulta patriae pestis, traitors, assassinats, hac itur ad astra, and this is to supererogate, and merit heaven for themselves and others. Had he seen on the adverse side, some of our nice and curious schismatics in another extreme, abhor all ceremonies, and rather lose their lives and livings, than do or admit anything Papists have formerly used, though in things indifferent (they alone are the true Church, sal terrae, cum sint omnium insulsissimi). Formalists, out of fear and base flattery, like so many weather-cocks turn round, a rout of temporisers, ready to embrace and maintain all that is or shall be proposed in hope of preferment: another Epicurean company, lying at lurch as so many vultures, watching for a prey of Church goods, and ready to rise by the downfall of any: as Lucian said in like case, what dost thou think Democritus would have done, had he been spectator of these things?

Robert Burton. 1577--1640. Anatomy of Melancholy.

Can't you guys get your act together? After all, this is 300 years old when alchemy and astrology were fashionable with the gentility.

You are fond of denigrating those two sciences and here you are light years behind when it comes to stuffing religion. Little lads at it. Assuming your audience is stupider than you are. Which is a bit far fetched scientifically.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 08:02 am
One way to look at it.....

Suppose Pontius Pilate had rounded up 500 democrats and demanded that Jesus figure out what to do with them, and that simply killing them was not an option. Is there anything OTHER than making slaves out of them which Jesus could have done or recommended at that time and under those conditions??
raprap

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 11:45 am
@gungasnake,
You know GanjaSnaKKKe , your ignorance of history is only exceeded by your arrogance.

The parables make it pretty clear he wouldn't be a big fan if the Rightious Right and the Faux Bigots.

Rap
spendius

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 01:24 pm
@raprap,
gunga didn't say that the 500 democrats weren't Righteous Right or Faux Bigots or otherwise.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 03:50 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: spendius (Post 5135736)
Quote:
If Democritus were alive now, and should but see the superstition of our age, our religious madness, as Meteran calls it, Religiosam insaniam, so many professed Christians, yet so few imitators of Christ; so much talk of religion, so much science, so little conscience; so much knowledge, so many preachers, so little practice; such variety of sects, such have and hold of all sides, —obvia signis Signa, &c., such absurd and ridiculous traditions and ceremonies: If he should meet a Capuchin, a Franciscan, a Pharisaical Jesuit, a man-serpent, a shave-crowned Monk in his robes, a begging Friar, or, see their three-crowned Sovereign Lord the Pope, poor Peter's successor, servus servorum Dei, to depose kings with his foot, to tread on emperors' necks, make them stand barefoot and barelegged at his gates, hold his bridle and stirrup, &c. (O that Peter and Paul were alive to see this!) If he should observe a prince creep so devoutly to kiss his toe, and those red-cap cardinals, poor parish priests of old, now princes' companions; what would he say? Coelum ipsum petitur stultitia. Had he met some of our devout pilgrims going barefoot to Jerusalem, our lady of Lauretto, Rome, S. Iago, S. Thomas' Shrine, to creep to those counterfeit and maggot-eaten relics; had he been present at a mass, and seen such kissing of paxes, crucifixes, cringes, duckings, their several attires and ceremonies, pictures of saints, indulgences, pardons, vigils, fasting, feasts, crossing, knocking, kneeling at Ave-Marias, bells, with many such; —jucunda rudi spectacula plebi, praying in gibberish, and mumbling of beads. Had he heard an old woman say her prayers in Latin, their sprinkling of holy water, and going a procession,
———incedunt monachorum agmina mille;
Quid momerem vexilla, cruces, idolaque culta, &c.

Their breviaries, bulls, hallowed beans, exorcisms, pictures, curious crosses, fables, and baubles. Had he read the Golden Legend, the Turks' Alcoran, or Jews' Talmud, the Rabbins' Comments, what would he have thought? How dost thou think he might have been affected? Had he more particularly examined a Jesuit's life amongst the rest, he should have seen an hypocrite profess poverty, and yet possess more goods and lands than many princes, to have infinite treasures and revenues; teach others to fast, and play the gluttons themselves; like watermen that row one way and look another. Vow virginity, talk of holiness, and yet indeed a notorious bawd, and famous fornicator, lascivum pecus, a very goat. Monks by profession, such as give over the world, and the vanities of it, and yet a Machiavellian rout interested in all manner of state: holy men, peace-makers, and yet composed of envy, lust, ambition, hatred, and malice; firebrands, adulta patriae pestis, traitors, assassinats, hac itur ad astra, and this is to supererogate, and merit heaven for themselves and others. Had he seen on the adverse side, some of our nice and curious schismatics in another extreme, abhor all ceremonies, and rather lose their lives and livings, than do or admit anything Papists have formerly used, though in things indifferent (they alone are the true Church, sal terrae, cum sint omnium insulsissimi). Formalists, out of fear and base flattery, like so many weather-cocks turn round, a rout of temporisers, ready to embrace and maintain all that is or shall be proposed in hope of preferment: another Epicurean company, lying at lurch as so many vultures, watching for a prey of Church goods, and ready to rise by the downfall of any: as Lucian said in like case, what dost thou think Democritus would have done, had he been spectator of these things?

Robert Burton. 1577--1640. Anatomy of Melancholy.

Can't you guys get your act together? After all, this is 300 years old when alchemy and astrology were fashionable with the gentility.

You are fond of denigrating those two sciences and here you are light years behind when it comes to stuffing religion. Little lads at it. Assuming your audience is stupider than you are. Which is a bit far fetched scientifically.

Since you directed this post to yourself, shouldn't you have started your comments with, "Can't I get my act together?"
spendius

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 06:22 am
@Frank Apisa,
Why don't you put the post on Ignore the manly way rather than doing it thinking we won't notice which is underestimating our intelligence?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 10:46 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Why don't you put the post on Ignore the manly way rather than doing it thinking we won't notice which is underestimating our intelligence?

I don't even know what the hell you are saying here, Spendius. Why do you consider putting "the post on ignore" "manly?" And what does putting the post on ignore mean?

I certainly do not want to ignore anything you write, if that is what you are getting at. Your posts are among the most entertaining offered here in A2K.

And I never underestimate anyone's intelligence.
spendius

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 03:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Oh no, not bloody much!!
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 03:24 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Oh no, not bloody much!!

MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTION:

a) Oh no, not bloody much...that I don't even know what the hell you are saying here?

b) Oh no, not bloody much...that I do not want to ignore anything you write, because your posts are among the most entertaining offered here in A2K?

c) Oh no, not bloody much...that I never underestimate anyone's intelligence?

...or...

d) Oh no, not bloody much, because of all of the above?

Oh, by the way, Spendius, you never answered my questions about...

...why you consider putting "the post on ignore" "manly" and...

...what does putting the post on ignore mean! Any chance you would answer them?

spendius

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 08:35 am
@Frank Apisa,
I meant Frank that I think you do underestime people's intelligence.

And I think putting a poster on Ignore is slightly more manly than ignoring it other ways like 0.0i is slightly larger than 0.005.

How are you doing? We are seeing some terrible scenes from New Jersey. Being without power at this time of year is too awful to contemplate.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 04:54 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
How are you doing? We are seeing some terrible scenes from New Jersey. Being without power at this time of year is too awful to contemplate.

Good point spendius, I wonder how Frank is fairing and if this storm has interrupted his golfing.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 10:40 am
@spendius,
Just got reconnected at 11:00 am this morning, November 7th. It was a disaster of incredible proportions...and I'll probably have more to say about it at some point in the near future, but for now, I am just enjoying seeing lights and the Internet.

Love ye all.

f.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 10:40 am
@reasoning logic,
Same to you, RL. Thanks for the thoughts.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 02:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You were missed, man.

Joe(welcome back to the power!)Nation
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 02:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Welcome back, frank. I was beginning to worry.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 02:44 pm
@Joe Nation,
Thanks, Jonathan...thanks Edgar.

New Jersey was not a nice place to be during the last week or so. Sandy hit us with a hay-maker. The shore was positively devastated...the kind of damage that will take a monster effort to correct. And if sensible heads prevail, there will be building code changes from here to hell and back.

On a personal note...I just cannot get over the effect being without electricity, the Internet, (youse guys and gals), and telephone service had on me. Add to that the fact that Nancy and I were cooped up together for all that time--mostly confined to the living room where the wood-burning stove was a blessing...and you get the makings of a nightmare.

But it is behind us for the moment...although the fringes of a nor'easter is upon us at the moment...with a wet snow falling like crazy. We are expecting winds in the 50-70 miles per hour range after nightfall. Glad some people are telling us that climate change is all a myth!
izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 03:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
And here was me thinking you were taking part in the USPGA Champions Tour in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 03:34 pm
@izzythepush,
They wouldn't even let me in as a fore caddy. Wink
farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 03:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
well sonny, where the hell you been? Sister Mary Solicitata wants to see you in her office.