Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 12:54 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Spademaster, I really would like to get back to where we were earlier if I may.

Let me say, first, that I see you are fighting this increasingly acrimonious battle almost alone...and I appreciate that you are willing to stand up to the counter arguments from the many. Takes guts! I acknowledge that.

Anyway, a couple of times now I have mentioned that Jesus most likely did not condemn slavery, because the god he worshiped said there is nothing wrong with slavery.

I’d really like to hear your comments on that specific.

The god of the Bible…the god Jesus worshiped, specifically said:

"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess, provided you BUY them from among the neighboring nations. You may also BUY them from among the aliens who reside with you and from their children who are born and reared in your land. Such slaves YOU MAY OWN AS CHATTELS, and leave to your sons as their hereditary property, MAKING THEM PERPETUAL SLAVES. But you shall not lord it harshly over any of the Israelites, your kinsmen." Leviticus 25:44ff

Now, it might be argued that the god meant that slavery was only okay if practiced by ancient Hebrews…but you can easily see the alley where that would lead. So I would avoid that.

Jesus was not a Christian…he was a Jew. He worshiped the god described in what we call “The Old Testament”…and that god said there was nothing wrong or immoral about buying, selling, owning, or bequeathing slaves.

My take on that is: Jesus never condemned slavery because the god he worshiped said there was nothing wrong with slavery.

Your comments, if you would.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 01:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
My take on that is: Jesus never condemned slavery because the god he worshiped said there was nothing wrong with slavery.

Your comments, if you would.

Simplest comment would be: see my recent posts avove. Smile

Let me reiterate. There is absolutely no evidence, Biblical or otherwise, that Jesus ever made a comment about slavery, apart from using slave/master stories as allegories for man/God relationships. Thus, we do not know whether or not he had any position in the matter. To say that he was in favor of it because he never actively opposed it is logical nonsense (as youwell know, Frank).

So let's get right to the nub of the matter, the fact that slavery was not only acceptable to the Jews of Jesus' time but fully sanctioned by their religious teachings, e.g. the passage from Leviticus that you quoted. Interestingly enough, by the time of Jesus, that passage was already being honored more in its breech than its observance. Most slaves were owned by the Roman overlords, not by the Jews themselves. Except for a handful of very wealthy families like King Herod's kin (and Herod, btw, himself was not ethnically Jewish although raised in the Hebrew religious mold so he's be acceptable as king of the Jews) most Jews themselves no better off than slaves under the Roman rule. It is inaccurate to say that the practice of slavery was universally -- or, I suspect, even widely -- acceted by the Jewish community in Palestine, in spite of Leviticus and a few other passages in the Torah. I have already alluded to the fact that the Essenes eschewed slavery and spoke against it. This has been attested to by no lesser authorities than Pliny the Elder (who was in Judea at about the time of the big Jewish rebelllion), Josephus, on whose memoirs abbout The Jewish Wars historians rely on for most of their information and Philo of Alexandria, a contemparary Jewish scholar living in Egypt at the time of Jesus. They all say the Essenes kept no slaves.

Interestingly, the Essenes didn't particularly preach against slavery either. They were not 'abolitioniists' in the sense of certain 19th Century Amercans who opposed slavery here. It was assumed that if a convert became an Essene he would see the rightness of hard work without indentured help and there was no point in trying to foist this way of life on others. I strongly suspect that this was Jesus' position as well. If he thought that slavery was wrong, he still saw no need to preach against it. Anyone who came to see things his (Jesus') way would soon discern for himself that slavery was untenable. We're talking about 1st Century Judea here, not 19th Century America. The entire cultural millieu was quite different.

In the final analysis, does it matter?

We set up questions such as the headline on this thread with one thing primarily somewhere near the top of our thoughts: let's tweak the noses of those pain-in-the-ass dudes who call themselves Christians. Frank, if you're as honest a man as I think you are, you will acknowledge that some such thought crossed your mind. The point is that here we're not even talking about what Jesus might have or might not have done or said (because, in the finally analysis, we don't know!) but, rather, let's get those Christians whose idiotic leaders, following the Pauline heresy of early Christianity, have totally perverted whatever might have been positive in the teachings of that dude from Nazareth.

And I totally agree with that: the churches (all of them of whatever denomination) have done far, far more harm than good in the long run. They call on Jesus at every turn, usually knowing absolutely nothing whatever about him as a histprical figure. Let's take the burden off the memory of Jesus of Nazareth and lay it where it belongs -- at the doo of the so-called Christian churches.
Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 01:33 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Interestingly, the Essenes didn't particularly preach against slavery either.

The Essenes were sticklers for the law, and this is one of the reasons some scholars believe that the putative Jesus was from an Essene community . . .

Matthew 5:18, in the King James version:

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Christians often attempt to dodge the more ugly aspects of the the Pentateuch by claiming that Jesus had fulfilled the law, and that it no longer applies. As far as i can see (and my English is pretty good, even for the early 17th century version) the boy is saying that the law is the law is the law until heaven and earth pass (away).
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 01:38 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
We set up questions such as the headline on this thread with one thing primarily somewhere near the top of our thoughts: let's tweak the noses of those pain-in-the-ass dudes who call themselves Christians. Frank, if you're as honest a man as I think you are, you will acknowledge that some such thought crossed your mind.

When I brought this up in 2004, Lustig, I am positive that tweaking was one of the things I had in mind…a major thought. I brought up similar threads at that time with that same motivation.

Right now, though, since it has come back to life, I am trying to discuss it in a more objective manner.

I certainly think it important to the overall argument about Christianity…to have discussions about the god of the Old Testament. Most Christians do not share my feelings in that regard.

In any case, the discussion has many interesting aspects…and I am not going to be dismissive of it. I think this revival will be short-lived…and we will quickly move on to bigger and better topics….like, the Showtime series, Homeland and Game of Thrones.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 01:41 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Gnostic Christians believe the god of the old teastament wasn't God at all, but a creature known as the Demiurge.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 01:43 pm
@Frank Apisa,
What is your opinion of Game of Thrones? I've heard it touted.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 01:53 pm
@Setanta,
I think it's very good. It's a lot more sword than sorcery, and is based as much on the realities of Medieval life as it is on Tolkien. The only problem is, it's still unfinished, there's two hefty volumes still to come, and the most recent one took about five years to materialise. There's a lot of ranting on the internet by frustrated fans who think it'll never be finished.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 01:53 pm
@Setanta,
Nope, like I said, because this directly pertains to you, and not 2 helpless atheists from your vulturous ways I will gladly link them!!! brb...
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 01:56 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I will reply to this as soon as I validate what I am saying to Setanta...and absolve myself...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 01:58 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Two "helpless" atheists? Vulturous ways? Are you saying those atheists are dead now? You don't make a lot of sense. When you link those, be sure that they are quotes saying i am an asshole and a sociopath--otherwise, they don't count. Of course, i no more care if some other hateful sob calls me an asshole and a sociopath, than i do when you spew your hatred.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 02:09 pm
@Setanta,
Your posts...

Quote:
What a digusting hypocrite you are. I'd probably drop down dead of heart failure if i ever saw any honesty from you.

You are totally fuckin' clueless . . .

What an idiot.

Kiss my red Irish ass, you sanctimonious hypocrite.

You've got a gall talking about anyone else being a horse's ass. You came here looking for trouble. Nothing obliged you to comment. You did it because you wanted to pick a fight--and yet you talk about me being a horse's ass.

Clown

Hypocrite

= Hateful man!!

As far as me being hateful, and absolving myself from it...

First post: I will indeed be a man and admit, I was acting like, and in distasteful manner by arguing with you, yesterday, and the previous day...Which is why I chose to avoid, or dodge you because I do not wish to continue this type of behavior...

Second Post: What more do you want me to say?? If it makes you feel better than for your sake I will say, I guess I do then...Does this make you feel better and bury the hatchet??

The reason why I ask...Is because I want to better myself, in understanding people...and better ways to communicate my flaws to transition them to positive ways...I came in this website and forum, a little overbearing...and wish to portray more positive ways of explaining my positions/views...

!!! Wink Wink Wink Very Happy Very Happy

= not a hateful person!!
Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 02:17 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
You're being a weasel now. In your thread, in which you invited peopel who do not believe in Christianity, the first person to respond was Ragman, and you went after him. When you later went after me, you said i was the only person here you had a problem with, and i pointed out that you had gone after Ragman. So then you said that Ragman and i are the only people you have a problem with. Shall we add Voice to that list?

I had followed that thread for a long time, making no comment. The pages in which RL was spamming with his irrelevant videos, and you were preaching at him--the two of you talking right past one another--were truly boring. But then you said that atheists (plural) had said that if they had a sign from god, they'd change their belief. I said i didn't believe that, because atheists are people who lack a belief, not people who have a belief to change, and because it is highly unlikely that someone is going to be looking for a sign from something in which they don't believe.

It went down hill from there rapidly, as you said more and more hateful things, backed of your claim that you could link those posts, claiming i'd make war on them. You're the one who raised the hysteria level, and now you want to make yourself out to be simon-pure, the loving christian.

This is not about anything that happened in the last few pages. You've been hateful and obsessive for weeks and weeks, and solely because i called your out on your dubious claim about atheists asking for a sign from god. You don't back up your claims. You make them, but you provide no evidence. Just like your claim in this thread that the slavery in the time of the putative Jesus was different--what was that bullshit you posted? To preserve bloodlines ? ! ? ! ? Oh, puh-leeze. You make claims, you don't support them, and then you go ballistic if anyone tries to hold your feet to the fire.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 02:20 pm
I'm not buying that bullshit. You've pulled crap like that before, you want to bury the hatchet, you're not a hateful person--and then you go off like a cheap firecrack, as in this thread in which you suddenly said i'm an asshole and a sociopath and you know three other people who think so. (I know far more than that.)

Now you're agonizing about your carefully constructed image of yourself as a loving christian, all the while losing it and spewing more hate.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 02:31 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess, provided you BUY them from among the neighboring nations. You may also BUY them from among the aliens who reside with you and from their children who are born and reared in your land. Such slaves YOU MAY OWN AS CHATTELS, and leave to your sons as their hereditary property, MAKING THEM PERPETUAL SLAVES. But you shall not lord it harshly over any of the Israelites, your kinsmen." Leviticus 25:44ff

There was nothing wrong with taking people as slaves if you were to take care of them, and act righteously toward them...Nothing more than having a modern day butler, or maid...How many people think that that is wrong?? Do you personally??

Quote:
Now, it might be argued that the god meant that slavery was only okay if practiced by ancient Hebrews…but you can easily see the alley where that would lead. So I would avoid that.

What the Bible calls slavery would be o.k., if people were to do it, but take care of one another... People do it all the time all over the world, in maids and butlers etc...When we took on the word slavery, and made it what we did in Civil War times, that would be wrong. To any God, and Jesus Christ...

Quote:
Jesus was not a Christian…he was a Jew. He worshiped the god described in what we call “The Old Testament”…and that god said there was nothing wrong or immoral about buying, selling, owning, or bequeathing slaves.

Because the objective at that time, was to preserve the Jewish seed, and make others part of their own people...

This is shown by also reading in the Old Testament, that a slave could come into a women, if the male was emasculated...This shows God was about selecting chosen people...How many people would let a slave come into their wife to have children today?? So the God of the Old Testament cared about people, and it is in no way the same thing as what we as society call slavery today...

Quote:

Like I said, It all depends on what your referring to by the word slavery....

Jesus would not be against people preserving one another, Jesus would be opposed to whipping and beating people...
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 02:37 pm
@Setanta,
Now, Show me one...just One post of you retracting, or apologizing, withdrawing your hateful ways, and I will say, and validate your not a hateful man....
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 02:41 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
What is your opinion of Game of Thrones? I've heard it touted.

Slightly better than spectacular...although just a tiny bit less spectacular than Homeland.

The Game of Thrones books were fabulous...a terrific read. The TV production followed them (for the first year) perfectly.

A must see.
Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 02:41 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I don't care whether or not you think i'm hateful, and i have no reason to apologize to someone for calling them hateful when they spew hatred at me. In this thread, you asked me why i don't believe in your god, so i told you. In just a few posts, you were telling me i'm an asshole and a sociopath (nevermind the argument ad populum claim that you know three other people who think so). You expect me to apologize to you? Don't hold your breath.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 02:43 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Got a dinner party going tonight...so I cannot address this now. I will address it completely later tonight or tomorrow.

Stay cool! That is what works best!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 02:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Thanks, Boss. We don't have Showtime, but i'll look out for the DVDs.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 02:49 pm
If you see some negative marks beside your names, XX and Set, it's because I just edited my copy of this thread to collapse every post between the two of you that does not relate to the topic at hand. Period.