PUNKEY

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 07:41 am
I cleaned out the attic and found my late husband's baseball mitts. There are two Rawlings and one Reach. They are a little dusty, but in good shape. Used in the 50's and early 60's.

How do I take care of them? Is there an oil or conditioner that I would use to preserve them? I'd like my grandson to have them, if he wants and is interested when he's ready.

TIA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,082 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 07:53 am
@PUNKEY,
I use Lexol preserver for conditioning leather. You can find it at a shoe repair store, or maybe even Walmart.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3610/lexolthumb.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 08:18 am
@PUNKEY,
Just about any leather conditioner will work but they do make special conditioner for baseball mitts.

Off season we oil down Mo's mitt, put a baseball in the "pocket", and wrap it up tight with some fabric strips. When he takes it out the following year, it's lovely.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 08:32 am
@PUNKEY,
Neatsfoot oil is a great and tried-and-true leather conditioner (especially for gloves) for many decades:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neatsfoot_oil

After treating it, place a baseball or softball (if playing softball) and tie it up with string. Doing this will reform the pocket. I used to put this under my mattress and sleep on it. Admittedly this is extreme, but I only did this for a new glove not an old relic.

0 Replies