Unemployment

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 07:49 pm
My position was recently eliminated at my place of employment. They are asking that I sign a "general agreement" that states that I will get 30 days of severance pay and it also includes a "General Release of Claims" that states "Employee knowingly and voluntarily releases and forever discharges Employer of and from any and all claims, known and unknown".
Could this prevent me from filing for unemployment benefits??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,259 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 07:52 pm
@colleenms,
I think they just want to be sure you won't ever sue them...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 08:22 pm
@colleenms,
Why don't you hand write in: "... except unemployment claims."
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 08:24 pm
@colleenms,
I had to sign something similar when I was laid off last year. The term in my severance package did not affect my unemployment and I am pretty sure yours won't either. The company is almost certainly asking you to promise not to sue them for wrongful termination in exchange for the severance pay.

That being said get legal advice. There is usually some free legal assistance available. I was laid off as part of a large group that was provided outplacement which gave us a chance to pool questions and provide support. If your company does this, you should definitely take advantage of this.

These agreements are also negotiable. The company wants you to go away, sometimes you can get more help with outplacement or even more severance pay if you ask.

You should get legal advice from someplace other than the Internet before you sign. It should be available for free or cheap.

Best of luck.

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 08:33 pm
@colleenms,
colleenms wrote:
Could this prevent me from filing for unemployment benefits??

The agreement doesn't make you say that you voluntarily resigned, does it? You want to be sure that it conveys that your termination was involuntary.
0 Replies