Termination of Parental Rights

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 03:24 pm
Is it true that in the state of Texas, a parent can get out of paying child support if they sign over all parental rights?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,477 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 03:34 pm
This link might answer your q. http://www.legalhelpinntx.com/law_office/faq/parental-rights-termination.html
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 04:53 am
The link CI gave explains just what I thought. You cannot just sign over your parental rights unless someone wants to adopt the child.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 04:56 am
If it were that easy, parent would be terminating their parental rights left and right to avoid paying support and thank goodness it doesn't work that way.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 05:43 am
angliz0801 wrote:
Is it true that in the state of Texas, a parent can get out of paying child support if they sign over all parental rights?

Sorry guys - quick answer here - to whom???? Their grandparents? The state of Texas? Michael Jackson? Macdonalds?
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 05:48 am
The parent that's not in the picture should take care of the child until someone steps up and says that they'll do it.

We went through a simular situation with my oldest. Well, not 'mine', but I did adopt him. His sperm-donor (my wife's term for it) would regularly break his weekend, was late with child support payments, changed jobs to get out of the garnishment. . . stuff like that. Finally, he blew one weekend too many, and my wife said "Why don't you just let Turner adopt him?" He jumped on the chance. It was as if he was trying to maneuver us into it. Maybe he was, but I dobut it. Didn't even think about it. Sad, kinda. Didn't care enough about his first born to take care of him.

Well, I like to think that my son got the best of the deal. Sure, I'm not the best dad, but I'm a helluva lot better than the SD was.

But I digress. The important thing is that the child is taken care of first. Not whether or not the parent wants to do it. I mean, if they didn't want to do it, they should have made sure it wouldn't happen, right?
0 Replies