Phases of matter

Iowa23

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 10:26 pm
What other matter besides water can change into the three main phases? Solids, liquids, gases.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,741 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Fido

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 04:35 am
@Iowa23,
Iowa23 wrote:

What other matter besides water can change into the three main phases? Solids, liquids, gases.
All matter has four phases: Solid, liquid, gas, and plasma..
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 05:16 am
Google 'States of Matter'

On Earth the most common States of matter are solids, liquids and gasses- but plasmas are sometimes encountered-such as the gasses inside of neon light bulbs and old TV picture tubes--plasmas in these cases are essentially ionized gasses but have energies different enough to be considered a different state. Plasmas are relatively common off of the Earth and in and around stars.

On a quantum level there are additional states of matter, but these states only exist in very special conditions.

BTW most materials have three states.

Rap
0 Replies

Iowa23

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 07:32 pm
My girlfriend's daughter is having a test on the subject and she needs a digital photo of each 3 stages and a material that does so. Can you give me examples? I appreciate it.
Fido

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 10:47 am
@Iowa23,
Iowa23 wrote:

My girlfriend's daughter is having a test on the subject and she needs a digital photo of each 3 stages and a material that does so. Can you give me examples? I appreciate it.
I doubt that you can see plasma, just as you can seldom see gasses.... A speck of dust entering the atmosphere becomes plasma as its atoms are ripped off one by one, but in returning to a lower state of matter, they give off electro-magnetic radiation, some of which we see as light, as a shooting star...The difference between states of matter is heat.. The notion of global warming does not give most people any grasp of the energy that must be applied to ice to make it water, or how much must be added to water to make steam... It is easier to change the climate of the earth than it is to change human behavior, but I trust that we will change when we find it is both too late, and necessary; and not without resistence from some up until the very end...
0 Replies