Happy Thanksgiving to our Canucks!

hamburgboy

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 06:19 pm
@ehBeth,
pumpkin pie should be absolutely VERBOTEN !!!

( and so should jello salads Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked )

( the only way we ate pumpkin in germany - known as kuerbis - was as a sweet-pickeled condiment with pork-roast or goose )
hingehead

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 07:00 pm
@hamburgboy,
I knew a dutch indonesian guy who couldn't believe people ate pumpkin - he'd say 'It's cow food!'
ehBeth

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 07:02 pm
@hingehead,
the hamburgers felt the same way about corn in the early days here
Ceili

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 09:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Just before my mom emigrated from Ireland, she was given a some info, booklets on what to expect in Canada. One of the blurbs said Canadians ate corn on the cob. In Ireland, I believe Europe, corn or maize is pig feed. So she went to the local supermarket and bought a can of corn... on the cob. She heated it up and tried to eat it and was so grossed out, it took her years before she'd try it again. She'd cook it for us but wouldn't dig her pearly whites in to the sweet ears until we all cajoled her into trying a cob - I think I was in highschool. Now she understands...
Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 03:23 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
I doubt that the expresion "tanksgiving" was in general use except as pertains to gratitude for having got the crops in before the first big freeze.

Them Calvinist boys would have a thanksgiving ceremony at the drop of a hat. If Ma stumbled coming out of the kitchen, but she didn't spill the soup, everyone would flop down and say prayers of thanksgiving. If a ship arrived from civil-war-torn England with a load of iron tools and finished fabrics, everyone would run off to the church for a service of thanksgiving. That's what is so silly about suggesting that "the first thanksgiving" was celebrated by those Puritan jokers. They had about as many thanksgiving ceremonies as there were weeks in the year.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 05:38 am
@Ceili,
Corn on the cob is freely available in all our supermarkets now, it's not just animal feed any more.
Ceili

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 10:45 am
@izzythepush,
Yes, I know. This was over forty years ago. The world has evolved.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 03:22 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:
I doubt that the expresion "tanksgiving" was in general use except as pertains to gratitude for having got the crops in before the first big freeze.

Them Calvinist boys would have a thanksgiving ceremony at the drop of a hat. If Ma stumbled coming out of the kitchen, but she didn't spill the soup, everyone would flop down and say prayers of thanksgiving. If a ship arrived from civil-war-torn England with a load of iron tools and finished fabrics, everyone would run off to the church for a service of thanksgiving. That's what is so silly about suggesting that "the first thanksgiving" was celebrated by those Puritan jokers. They had about as many thanksgiving ceremonies as there were weeks in the year.

You'll get zero argument from me on that.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 12:10 pm
Happy Canuckian Thanksgiving everybody!
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2013-10/enhanced/webdr03/14/11/anigif_enhanced-buzz-12527-1381762928-9.gif
15 Important Reasons Why Canadian Thanksgiving Is Better
http://www.buzzfeed.com/tanyachen/15-important-reasons-why-canadian-thanksgiving-is-better
0 Replies