Steve Jobs has died

Thomas

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 01:55 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
But then he might be peeved to be IN heaven too, seeing as how he was a Buddhist and all.

Jobs is peeved because Peter isn't scrolling through the list right. He needs to use the alphabetical shortcut column on the right, or flip his index finger up the Pad to make the names fly by. But Peter, stuck in 1st-century pad technology, does neither. Who wouldn't be peeved?
georgeob1

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:44 pm
We are already getting more information about the life of this remarkable man in the press. Over time a more complete picture will emerge which will very likely reveal the complex character of a very talented person who achieved great things in his professional career - things that affected the lives and choices of many people worldwide. It is all too easy to exaggerate both his achievements and the usual criticisms of them. For me the most remarkable element of his career was the way he turned failure into unusual success through persistence in the pursuit of the ideas that so fascinated him. Different folks have different views of his trademark focus on innovation, but most, I think, find the repeated successes in the third act of his professional career to be a solid base fot the acclaim he achieved.

Steve Jobs was also a human being who faced the contradictions and uncertainties of life that we all experience in various ways. I suppose we will learn more about that too.

All things considered, he was a fascinating person who dealt unusually well with some difficult challenges in both his personal and professional life.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:45 pm
@Thomas,
Excellent point.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:46 pm
@Thomas,
I don't know either, as I didn't read into the article (wherever it was, recently on google news).
0 Replies

datamangroup

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 12:20 pm
It's sad but there's a time for everything. BTW, Jobs couldn't have done it without Steve Wozniak. Thanks to both!
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 01:06 pm
@datamangroup,
Jobs was the first one to say (and did in many interviews) that you need to work as a team and rely on each other to succeed. It's never just one person, it's an entire team....
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 07:55 pm
Jobs the Jerk

Quote:
It turns out, though, that he was much worse than you ever suspected. There are several admiring Steve Jobs stories in Steve Jobs, Walter Isaacson’s much-anticipated authorized biography, but they’re overshadowed by the many, many more instances in which Jobs comes off as a world-class jerk. Jobs was rude, mean, abusive, and often neglectful to everyone in his life; the people he hated got it bad, but the people he loved sometimes got it worse. Some of this isn’t surprising. Jobs’ arrogance, his monumental self-regard, his irresponsibility, and his unremitting cruelty to those who failed to live up to his expectations have always dogged his image. During his life, Jobs did express regret for some of his actions—including abandoning his first daughter, Lisa, for several years after she was conceived out of wedlock. (He continued to suggest that he might not be her father even after a paternity test proved he was.)
Advertisement
But Isaacson has compiled so many instances of personal and professional thuggery—and so many from Jobs’ later, allegedly “mellower” years—that even longtime Jobs admirers (a group in which I count myself) will struggle to like the guy in this book. I suspect that Jobs wouldn’t have minded this portrayal. “I don’t have any skeletons in my closet that can’t be allowed out,” he told Isaacson, and clearly he didn’t care what people thought about him. (Anyone who didn’t like him was probably a “bozo,” his favorite put-down; “******* dickless assholes” was his best.)

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/10/steve_jobs_biography_the_new_book_doesn_t_explain_what_made_the_.html

Jobs certainly knew that he was as asshole, there is mentioned else where that Job's once said that the main problem with Obama's leadership style is that is is afraid that people will hate him. According to Jobs this is a requirement for good leadership.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 08:05 pm
@CalamityJane,
I dont think Isaacsons book is a "kiss and tell" rag like youve quoted. Examplles of how he built teams and promoted people was also based upon how people "pushed back" at him. He just loved to engage others. So he was profane. I dont see any difference in life around any of us.
Jobs had a unique way of squeezing the best out of others.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 08:08 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Jobs had a unique way of squeezing the best out of others.
Maybe the best leaders are hard core assholes...did that thought ever cross your mind??

How much difference is there really between Jobs/Gadhafi/FDR/Reagan???? Are any of these guys going to go down in the history books as being nice?
farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 08:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Maybe the best leaders are hard core assholes...did that thought ever cross your mind??

Its axiomatic. When all the losers have to do is try to ridicule leaders, the good leaders wear "Assholism" like a badge of honor.
Ill bet Jobs was laughing up his sleeve. (course he usually wore tee shirts)
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 08:27 pm
@farmerman,
I find it interesting that Larry Ellison as much the same rep for abusing people.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 09:47 pm
@farmerman,
I am not objecting to any of it, farmerman. As a leader you have to push people at times in order to get out of them what you want, but as I said, Jobs was the first one to admit that he was not a one-man-show, everything he did, was done as a team.

Sure it's easy to call him an asshole, as hawkeye did - probably sitting at his kitchen table fumbling around with a few bread crumbs, because that's all he's ever succeeded in.

It's always the ones who never amount to anything in life that cannot extend or acknowledge that someone else has been successful and deserve what's due to them.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 09:57 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Sure it's easy to call him an asshole, as hawkeye did - probably sitting at his kitchen table fumbling around with a few bread crumbs, because that's all he's ever succeeded in.

I was under the impression that Walter Isaacson is a well accomplished author..do you know different?

Quote:
It's always the ones who never amount to anything in life that cannot extend or acknowledge that someone else has been successful and deserve what's due to them.
You did notice where I postulated that being an asshole is correlated with being a successful leader, right? I realize that you love me, but you are taking it to silliness now.
spendius

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 06:17 am
@hawkeye10,
Cal loves me hawk. It's an on and off thing I know.
0 Replies